Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting to "reload"

Now that I”ve ordered a Lee Anniversary Reloading kit and a set of 30/30 pacesetter dies, I’m up for suggestions on bullet/powder combinations that will work well in my Marlin 336C. Most rounds will be for plinking/target (at 100 -150yds), but I would like to make up rounds for deer & black bear (up to 300yds) and maybe some for taking down something bigger (if possible).
I’ve got about 400 Remington cases & 100 Win. I’ve saved from the store bought ammo I’ve used.

Also where can I find some good charts on loads etc. I'm not looking to experiment, just save some money.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Starting to "reload"

I was going to leave this alone, but since no one else has answered...

The .30/30 is not a 300 yard deer and bear cartridge. Handloading will not make that change. And while the .30/30 will slay huge beasts with proper bullet selection and perfect shot placement , it isn't ideal in that application either.

That said, for targets, plinking, deer and black bear at more reasonable ranges the .30/30 is a fine cartridge and will serve you well. The Lee kit should come with Richard Lee's book "Modern Reloading". Read it well before you start. It's packed with valuable information perfect for beginners. For load data, the Lee book will list many loads with a variety of powders. Powder manufacturers will also list loads on their web sites. Be wary of loads you find listed in forums like this one. Confirm them with data published by the powder or bullet manufacturers or other recognized sources.

Never forget that what you are making amounts to small bombs that you intend to detonate inches from your only set of eyes. You are quality control. Be safe!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Starting to "reload"

Ditto !

·
Premium Member
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Starting to "reload"

Actually that was supposed to be 200 yards, that’s as far as the range (I use) goes. Also I got quite a few suggestions from other forums, which now gives me an idea of best powders, bullets, primers to look for and how many bullets/primers to buy per 1lb (powder). Now I won’t be suckered into buying something some clerk is trying to unload.

Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts