Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just went out to do a little brush hoging, didn't get to far from
The house, and there's a tree across my tractor road, so back to the house, get one of my chainsaws, head back to the tree, get it out of the road. Get up to the spot that I want to mow, knock it down. Now I decided to go down to the lower road
And as I get to a deer run that goes up to my wife's tree stand,
And I cut a tree down earlier this spring that shut it off completely, don't you know there's another d-m tree right across the run. I go down the road turn around, on the way back, I spot a new deer run they must of started ,so I back the brush hog in the trail, on each side of the road, then go up to were , my wife's run is, and cut a big chunk out of that
To open that up.back on the road
I look over by the creek they cross and I opened that up this spring too.
It doesn't look right so I walk in the runway, and there is two trees one in the creek, one across this side of it.
Go back get the chainsaw , get them out of the way, just as my saw runs out of gas.
That was it for me, back to the house before I can't get home
And another tree comes down

Attachments

·
Registered
267 Posts
We have 214 acres and maybe over half is wooded. We have maybe 2 miles of old log roads turned to trails. It's a constant battle to keep these trails open. Also, spotted here and there are glades and small cleared fields we try to keep open. Field edges keep creeping out. Dead trees across fences and sometimes power lines. We pasture, cut hay off most of the open ground but still have to brushhog and spray to keep brush down. Then there is the multifloral rose, Russian Olive, buckeye and other invasive crap.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Clearly there was no one in the forest at the time these renegade trees fell or the falling trees would have made a sound you probably would have heard thus knowing trees had fallen in the forest...:burnout:

Tim

·
Registered
11,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well gassed up the tractor, and my chainsaw, and hit some more trails, started on my Appalachian Trail, went down along
The swamp, first time I seen my outpost #9 from that angle.
Also had to remove a tree blocking my divided highway trail,
It's got North and South bound lanes across the creek.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Happens to me all the time. I have 100 acres of planted pine in Fl. Every time we have a hurricane or a near hurricane I have to do the same thing.
Well back when I went into the service, had a nice field I use to mow, my parents weren't going to take care of it, so they
Ordered a 1,000 pine trees, and planted it. They cover about
15 acres.

·
Registered
11,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I am back at it again today trying to open up the quad trail down the back of the swamp, and this time mark it ,with surveyor tape. So when it's dark , we can find our way in or out. That's the good news.
Was just about done, and had started and stop the quad one to many times.

·
Registered
11,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
The batt. Had it. And my bumb ankle ,that I destroyed back in 1982 was already killing me from stepping on exposed tree roots, and twisting it. , I have a good mile walk back to the house over more ruff ground, to get a battery jumper pack, that I have 3 off, and no reason not to carry one with me on the quad. Got home, took a long brake, and thought about how I am Going to get close to the quad with the battery pac.
No way in h-ll I was carrying a battery back true the woods.
So grabbed the jumper pack, put it in my Envoy and drove around to my uncle's farm, headed as close as I could get over the old field roads. ,to ware I could just see my red quad
True the brush and across the creek.
Took a wile to find a good spot to get my fused ankle across
The creek, but we made it, jumped the guad, drove it around
The rest of the trail, went pass my Envoy and parked it in my pines, walked back to my GMC. Drove out to the road and back to the house. I am sure I won't be able to walk tomarrow.
I always do this stuff when my wife is up to camp, and no help around.

·
Registered
10,226 Posts
I hear ya. I am recovering from hernia surgery on Friday. Had the left side fixed on 9/6/13 and shot a buck with my bow on 10/2/13 so I figure the extra week of recover time this go round should make up for being 5 years older. I wrecked my left ankle back in 1978 and am probably eventually getting a replacement. My neighbor had one done 3 years ago that he wrecked in a cycle accident and it worked out great. The only thing is you want to put it off so you don’t outlive the replacement joint.

·
Registered
11,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I crushed my in Nov 18, 1982, @ 11:45. Loading a 1,200 lbs.bale of shredded paper in the back of my truck, standing it up on end, it got away from us, and I squated down with it, like
Squating with a barbell. My right leg was the fulcrum point for the bale . It didn't hole it.
Three operations and a infection later , I got what I got.

·
Registered
11,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This afternoon on the plan is to get my ex cousin-in-law to bring his toy John Deere over with its bucket loader and back hoe, and see if it can rip out a couple swamp Boggs so I can lay down a section of drain pipe and drive over it with my quad. Will take pic. Of operation
But won't be able to post pic.

Reactions: shawlerbrook

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I borrowed neighbor's bush hog yesterday after I used my front loader to tear up the foundation of the barn he's torn down, then mowed some for him then trimmed some of my place.

Forgot my tractor is 50 hp and his bush hog wasn't.

Gotta tear down gearbox and see how bad it is.

Edit -- gears showed no damage; we decided it must be the splines that hold the gears. Neighbor said he understood it was an 70 hp gearbox anyway.

More mechanic work in my future.

Reactions: no primers
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.