Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Starting load, 560gr cast/ unique

1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  me 
#1 ·
I browsed thru my manuals and have done some searching but I haven't found any data for a starting point to launch a 560gr cast (2.520 col) down range using Unique. Any help would be great.

I did load up some 410gr cast bullets with 11,12,13gr of Unique, 2.520 col, ww brass, cci 200 primer. Should be pretty light, around 1000fps. Hopefully get to the range today and hopefully they shoot well.

Cheers

Seabass

#4 ·
Seabass what you gonna do, kill a bear ;D

#6 ·
Seabass, the Cast Loads reference I have shows a Lyman #457560 550g with up to 12g of Unique.

CAUTION: I do not have COL info for that max charge, I'd start of under it a bit or more. It's a Trapdoor pressure load but with that bullet it is probably for a 2.7XX" COL in a single shot.

I can tell you that my 1895G really likes a 405g cast and 12g of Unique, so I bet you do OK with one of the "little 'un" loads you've set up.

#8 ·
Personally, I would try incorporating a booster rocket to get it moving. Call NASA, they might be able to help... ;)

That's HUGE!!! Can't help you on that one, but I'm dying to know how it goes for you. Please let us know

#9 ·
Didn't get the 560's loaded but I did try out the light (if you want to call them that), 410 grain hard cast today with 11, 12 and 13 grains of Unique, ww case, cci 200 primer, LFC 1/2 turn.

The 11 grain load shot well with one pulled, and the 12gr was good as well. With 13grains things started to open up but it could have been the barrel warming up and or the heat outside keeping it warm. 25yrds with skinner sights

Attachments

#11 ·
Seabass said:
Didn't get the 560's loaded but I did try out the light (if you want to call them that), 410 grain hard cast today with 11, 12 and 13 grains of Unique, ww case, cci 200 primer, LFC 1/2 turn.

The 11 grain load shot well with one pulled, and the 12gr was good as well. With 13grains things started to open up but it could have been the barrel warming up and or the heat outside keeping it warm. 25yrds with skinner sights
In my limited experience with reduced loads using Unique...accuracy is AWESOME, and barrel heating is a non-issue. My barrel barely got what I'd call "warm"...it never approached "hot".

#13 ·
bigdogbuc said:
Personally, I would try incorporating a booster rocket to get it moving. Call NASA, they might be able to help... ;)

That's HUGE!!! Can't help you on that one, but I'm dying to know how it goes for you. Please let us know
That could be a good thing...Kinda cut down on felt recoil :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.