Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feared this would happen...

Having bought a 45-70, I eventually decided to start casting bullets.

My 45-70 shoots .462 bullets better than SAAMI diameter .458 so I slugged the bore and made an impact impression of the chamber:

Non-existent "throat":

Throat diameter:

Groove-groove diameter:

Explains why it likes fat bullets!

Anyway, after much discussion with knowledgeable, lead-encrusted folk, I designed a bullet tailored to my gun:

This site lets you program the CAD reamer, while stopping you doing silly things that won't work. The guys who run it are incredibly helpful.

The mold cost £75, which I think is very reasonable (for the UK!), given the weeks of dialogue getting the design right!

The design is for a 460gr bullet with a large meplat for good on-game performance, sectional density>3 (for those pesky Welsh elephants) and a .458 Gator gas check. Designed to feed in my Marlin and leave enough case capacity for "adequate" oomph.

I set about assembling the kit for casting, while reading the Lyman manual and gleaning knowledge from casters at the range. Managed to scrounge some scrap lead and some monotype so I was all set.

Yesterday I melted down the lead, cleaned it up and alloyed it with a little of the monotype (to give me something like Lyman No.2)

Meet the bullet I've named Mjölnir (Thor's Hammer):

I've no previous experience to compare it to but the mold seemed to perform well, so long as I kept my speed/rhythm up.

The bullets cast at an average 460gr and .462 diameter:

I can't wait to see how they shoot. I just need to sort out my Lubrisizer and make up some test loads.

Any tips or advice gratefully received!

·
Registered
548 Posts
Good stuff there. That is an odd bore diameter, I wonder if you're getting some bounce back with your slugs. Can't argue with your results though, empirical evidence trumps all.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
From the looks of your post I would say you are using a Mountain Molds design, I have a couple myself and you can't go wrong. Will you be shooting game or targets with this bullet?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Awesome looking bullets. Almost makes me want to cast my own!

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
Good looking bullets, pretty good for the first time.:top: That will make Thor happy.:biggrin:

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Nice work. Love the name too. Thor's Hammer. Seems to fit.
I'll be very curious to see the range results with pic's.... hint, hint. :biggrin:

As many have iterated before me, "if there are no pic's it didn't happen".

·
Registered
106 Posts
I like them too and I am fearing the time to start casting is coming. Strange thing: I have sludged both my two levers (Henry and Marly, both 18 barrells) and both are in the .456 area. Infact I got good groups with the 385gr cast boolits I can buy from a private caster here in Italy (Lyman 2league). But unfortunately he can provide me only 459 RNGC boolits. wich are more suitable for targh 63983.jpg et than for four legged quarry's. It is a shame because for 14 cents at round I could go on buing the for life :)

BangBangman: how are You going to wax them? I have subsribed the post becasue You are working up this cast extremely fine

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BangBangman: how are You going to wax them? I have subsribed the post becasue You are working up this cast extremely fine
I've invested in a Lyman lubrisizer, to seat and crimp the gas-checks, size and lube. I have some plain and hollow base bullets to try: I'll pan-lube/Alox these if they don't need sizing.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Pan lube before and then alox tumble? That should gave maximum unleading protection.
Ps: Wales, was in a PPS school champ with my brother in a place with a non speackable name: Pwlehelli, about 50 years ago. Rainy sailing, rainy biking, rainy camping. But was great.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
a place with a non speackable name: Pwlehelli, about 50 years ago. Rainy sailing, rainy biking, rainy camping. But was great.
The town's name means salt water basin. The pronunciation of Pwllheli includes a sound not found in the English language, the voiceless alveolar lateral fricative [ɬ], but is (very) approximately pu-HLEL-ee.

Glad you enjoyed it!

BTW, I meant pan lube OR Alox/white spirit, not both (no idea if both would work!)

·
Registered
115 Posts
The town's name means salt water basin. The pronunciation of Pwllheli includes a sound not found in the English language, the voiceless alveolar lateral fricative [ɬ], but is (very) approximately pu-HLEL-ee.

Glad you enjoyed it!

BTW, I meant pan lube OR Alox/white spirit, not both (no idea if both would work!)
I was down that way last year, I have always loved North Wales, I was born in Chester and used to spend many happy holidays on the Llyn peninsular.

I think the Welsh language grew out of the climate, all that cold damp air caused lots of catarrh and phlegm which really helped you pronounce the words correctly :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts