Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i got a 336 a while back with fairly clean metal and solid wood that had a few knicks here and there. my plan is to refinish the wood and sell the rifle. here is what i have started with.
picture is horrible. i will get some pics of the wood before i refinish it. i stripped and sanded it yesterday. then i placed a damp rag over the wood and "ironed" it to get some of the dimples out. some are just too deep and i will have to finish over them, i guess. i dont want to sand it down too much and change the shape of the stock and i am afraid that is what will happen if i try to sand the deepest ones out.

she is a 1980 model 30-30. gonna clean her up good, reassemble and sell it. wood will be finished in tung oil.

i will try and post progress pics as i go. and i will try and use a better camera for the rest of the pics. lol

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, here we go... have had major technical difficulties today. but here we are...
before

first coat

couple rough spots

kinda dark around the edges...

second coat tomorrow...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Refinished birch stock. Used to have the simulated walnut I thought looked cheap. Here's a picture... if it works?? Used a lot of stain control. Little lighter than most buit it's growing on me.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
looks good!

Couldn’t stand it. Added a second coat last night before bed. :)

Cant see much difference. Gonna do at least one more coat. May add more. Dunno yet.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Tung oil takes several coats. Take a few drops and rub in in by hand. The last muzzle loader I built got 20 coats it just gets better. Dont rush tung oil it is a natural product not a one step process.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Should I be applying this by hand?

·
Registered
620 Posts
Yes, all you need is a fingertip. Dip your fingertip in the oil and apply the oil as thin as you can get it. I'd do at least 7 or 8 coats.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh...

I've been using a soaked rag to wipe it on. This will probably save some oil...

·
Registered
145 Posts
I used Casey's True oil and it worked very good. My only problem was I applied the first 2 coats too heavy and had a buildup on the butt edge of the stock. While sanding it off with 600 (what I had on hand) I wore off the edge a little. Whether you like the color or not the finish did turn out excellent with the Casey's... and not because of any expertize on my account. Easy to take the gloss off if you prefer and seems like a tough finish. Good luck... I am sure it'll turn out great! Let us know how it went and what you used. I plan on starting another project soon and would like to know of other ways of doing it.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey leadnut
I'm using Minwax Tung Oil finish.

On second coat now. No sanding between first 2 coats. Will get some steel wool and try it probably tonight. Pics later. :)

·
Registered
20,291 Posts
use 0000 steel wool to knock down the grain/smooth between coats. Use your fongers and work into the wood with small circular motions, then wipe off excess when done, Whatever you do, DON'T rush it. Let it dry as directed between coats. As the other guys have said, after 7-8 coats she'll really start to shine! Good luck!

·
Registered
145 Posts
I used Minwax also, for stain control and stain which you don't have to do. Your wood has good color. Those little variations you were talking about... the dark areas, give it character I think. I had some rough spots too but once I got enough Caseys True Oil on there it was easier to sand off... filled the pores.

Keep on goin... looks good!

Are you going to give it some gloss or make it flat finish?

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My plan is to end up with a satin finish. Not a fan of gloss typically. Guess it depends how it turns out. May like it. :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Still thinking about taking more gloss off mine. Crummy pictures make mine look glossier than it really is but it easier to make it more satin than it is to go back so I want to be sure:=)) Was a fun project!

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
coat 4. forgot to take pics before the 4th coat went on.

you can really see the two main imperfections in the stock in this pic...

before i buffed the stock out...

ok, little comparo from 2nd to 4th coat...

reassembly tomorrow...

·
Registered
274 Posts
i have about six coats on my stock and its getting pretty glossy with tru oil will probably post pics this weekend as i should br done by then
24hrs drytime takes a while ;D

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Haha yea it does. And I'm not a patient guy. :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts