Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
8,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
That picture is from my rock, this is a story and a Rant., so you can stop reading now if you want.
Right now iam upset, not the word I would use. Just found out a very special tree to me is gone, my wife ran over it with the lawn mower.
About 7 years ago I made the difficult hike into this swamp, which has a huge rock , that I stood on , the first time I hunted up in Newcomb, some 40 years ago, me and my uncle bob, split up at my rock, I told him I was climbing up on that rock overlooking the swamp, my uncle went up along the swamp, and we made a time to meet back at the rock. Not 5 minutes after my uncle was gone, I herd a twig snap, close by. I froze, then slowly looked down beside my rock, their stood 3 doe's, how the heck they came off the hill behind me, and never made a sound, I'll never know. I'm thinking they mite have a buck with them, so a slow as I can iam turning around, the doe's are getting nervous,
I look up the hill, and there stands a big rack buck, looking at me. I make a quick move to shoulder my 30/30, and the buck bolts off , never got a shot. The. Doe's ran across the beaver dam.
So to let my uncle know something was up, I fired my 30/30. This was before cellphones and two way radios didn't work in these thick woods. So my uncle comes back, and I tell him the story. He never seen or herd the buck. So I ejected the 30/30, and on the top of my rock was a little pine tree trying to grow, and I stuck that cartridge on a branch of that tree, as a reminder.
Well after many year of not hunting this spot, and my uncle bought a camp in a different location were we hunted.
I made the trip alone, and I know my ability to make this hike is running out. The last 150 yards is murder , rock crevices, steep climbs and blowdowns to get over or under. But 7 years ago
I made up my mind to take my western auto 30/30, and relive that day. And before I left I spotted a little pine tree trying to live on the top of the rock, and I brought it home and named it Newcomb. And my wife ran over it with the D-#$%@&=÷× mower
Iam going to try to get me another Newcomb tree when I go up this weekend. I mite be P'Oed enuff to make it one last time.

·
Registered
8,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Looking like opening weekend is going to suck up north good chance of rain, and thunderstorms

·
Registered
8,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
They changed the weather again.
So iam loaded, pulling out 0 dark 30 tomarrow am

Reactions: Vooch

·
Registered
8,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
The Enlisted men s quarters is all set up. No cell service down by my camp
Came into Newcomb to check out how many black powder hunters there was, none,
Headed back to camp to find some wood, for a campfire

Attachments

Reactions: Vooch

·
Registered
8,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
For this mornings recon trip, I have my Alice pac, just 3 more miles to go
Straight ahead
20201023_100934.jpg
20201023_101418.jpg

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Have fun and enjoy..(y):)

Reactions: no primers

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
Small med kit. The usual, plasters, sterile wipes, burn pad, bandage (Mil type with tightening wings if poss.) etc but also a couple of those blood clotting pads. A great way to limit blood loss while awaiting help, or getting to a hospital. You dont have to loose a lot of blood to be in trouble.

An injury doesnt have to be dramatic to be a pain. I keep one in my range bag and used it a few months back, when I cut my hand. I was able to clean the cut and apply a plaster and kept on shooting.

·
Registered
8,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Small med kit. The usual, plasters, sterile wipes, burn pad, bandage (Mil type with tightening wings if poss.) etc but also a couple of those blood clotting pads. A great way to limit blood loss while awaiting help, or getting to a hospital. You dont have to loose a lot of blood to be in trouble.

An injury doesnt have to be dramatic to be a pain. I keep one in my range bag and used it a few months back, when I cut my hand. I was able to clean the cut and apply a plaster and kept on shooting.
For me it would be dramatic, I don't do anything small time.

·
Registered
8,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
For bathing...3 gallon garden sprayer. Take hose and wand off and replace with hose and nozzle for kitchen sink sprayer. Heat water, pour and pump up. Pretty good shower.
I like that idea.
But no need, I was camping on the Boreas river, lots of water.

·
Registered
8,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
For me it would be dramatic, I don't do anything small time.
Were I had to go, to get to my rock, was h-ll , dozens of blowdowns, trees on top of trees , giant rocks, and crevices to get true and over. It's no picnic for anyone, much less a 71 year old. Any wrong step could be a twisted leg or a broken ankle, or a knee popped out of joint. A busted hip. That is my rock ,I use to hunt off of, on the back side of it is a big open crevice and other boulders. That's the side I come in from. Started in the woods at 07:00, got out at 03:40 never seen or herd another person all day. Hiking or hunting.
20201023_113302.jpg

21 - 40 of 43 Posts