Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
8,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For my camping a few nights up north, in the middle of nowhere.
Will have my truck, but these places
Aren't much more than a pull off spot
No water ,no elect , no dumpling station. Your in the boonies.
Haven't done this in 15 yrs or more.
Going to take a wile to see how much gear I still have. And if. It's any good. And now I will be by myself.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Who need's electric, water, toilet and all that fancy store bought stuff. With the exception of toilet .paper Your going to need that!

·
Registered
986 Posts
I've got several lists for hunting trips; my bum bag list, my backpack list, food list, list of what to take if I am camping, or staying in the landowner's shed or house.

It doesn't matter if you double up on items. They'll be on the list and you can skim over it before you go to make sure you haven't left anything behind.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Truck camping is a lot easier than taking everything on your back, but you still need the essentials:
Fire, Three ways of making it min.
Water in preferably two containers & a way of making potable water from a stream/lake.
Protection from the environment. As in good clothes, boots, hats, shelter & sleeping bags (light AND heavy).
Knives to include pocket folding & sheath. light axe & bow saw (for firewood & possible shelter building.
Personal protection firearms & fishing gear if inclined.
First aid supplies & sun screen.
More food than you think that you need.

I survived off of the land for two months in the backwoods of Yellowstone once with a 30# pack (17 yrs. old & no firearm). I was chased up trees by Grizzlies & they took the fish that I caught until I learned to stash them very high in the trees. It changed my life & made a better person of me valuing many little things that most take for granted.
It was enlightening & changed my outlook on life! Also gave me the confidence that I could survive anything.
Good luck, it sounds like fun!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Regarding TP, collect a handful of paper napkins from a diner or fast food place. Easier to pack than a round roll especially on a trek through the woods when you can just put a couple in your pocket.
A few bags of jerky, protein bars and what pathfinder said.

·
Registered
19,766 Posts
WIPIES! 😁 Have fun!

·
Registered
8,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I decided to turn my little red wagon into a decoy camper ,for this season.
Up were iam going, it's first come first served. What I mean is there is no reserved camping spots. If you find a spot open, it's yours. If you pull out to hunt some place else for the day, and come back, and someone else is parked there, tuff Turkey. You lost it.
So iam setting up my decoy trailer on a site. So anyone can see that it's being used.

·
Registered
8,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well after being in the dark for. 4 & 1/2 days I've lost my list, don't know
If iam going now. Mite just do my day trip.

Reactions: Vooch

·
Registered
8,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Right now the long forecast for next weekend doesn't look great, showers, mite keep the fare weather
Hunters home, more camping room for me. Starting to load my truck, with
Hunting and camping gear, for next weekend. Decided on taking my Mk -5
For my backup rifle. It will be it's first trip to Newcomb.

Reactions: Vooch

·
Registered
8,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Boy am I glade ,that i decided to cook one of my Gourmet meals tonight, that I plan to make up north wile camping. Found out it definitely needs some of Rob's south Dakota peppers. Making up a ziploc bag of peppers for camp.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts