Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried something new. I scanned in the pistol, then used it as a standard inside photoshop to make a Mexican loop pattern. Printed it out, cut and folded to make sure it fit then printed to make the trace film and cut out the leather.
I need to find where I can get trace film to print on directly from the printer. Here's progress so far.
Pattern and trace
Design Automotive design Pattern

Folded pattern to test fit

Fictional character

Leather cut - wet to make flat.
Design Pattern Paper

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
Looking good, I've been thinking about trying my hand at leather lately. Seems I have a new Blackhawk that's in need of a holster also. Keep us updated on the progress.

Stu

·
Super Moderator
12,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looking good, I've been thinking about trying my hand at leather lately. Seems I have a new Blackhawk that's in need of a holster also. Keep us updated on the progress.
Stu
Will do Stu - I *almost* decided to do Sheridan style carving then decided at the last minute to do somethign else "different". I hope it turns out well.

Reactions: gadjolever

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
Looks good. Beats my "trial and error" method 9 ways to Sunday.

·
Premium Member
6,561 Posts
That's awesome, Jon! I love the Dia de los Muertos artwork too! I've always loved Dia de los Muertos art, but it fits especially well with that style of pistol.

Still trying to plan out a design for the NAA boot holster we talked about. Will let you know when it starts to 'coagulate'.

Reactions: BubbaJon

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
That looks great, you're quite a craftsman. That will definitely draw attention on the range, I'm sure you're going to have a bunch of guys asking you to make holsters for them. Nice work, you should be proud of it.

Stu

Reactions: BubbaJon

·
Super Moderator
12,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's awesome, Jon! I love the Dia de los Muertos artwork too! I've always loved Dia de los Muertos art, but it fits especially well with that style of pistol.
I dunno if you thought about it:

1 - a holster for a 44 magnum pistola
2 - Day of the Dead motif

:)

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
NICE, VERY NICE INDEED!!!

Hmmm, will those fit a 4 5/8" SBH?

So where do I order one? :)

IF you decide to make more please let me know....

Thanks
BLOODGROOVE4570

·
Super Moderator
12,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Very nice!!! How much did it cost total? Ya going to do more?
Well the materials ain't cheap with a shoulder running around $100 or so (depending).
But mostly it's the time that adds the value - it's labor intensive.
Whaddya think something like this is worth?
@Frank - well.... yeah! I like making them. I've been holding off getting too excited because I'd have more holsters than guns.
My next project was likely to be a scabbard for the rifle. Or maybe the boot holster njcioffi and I have been bandying around. Plus gotta couple of knives that need new sheaths...

Reactions: gadjolever

·
Registered
242 Posts
Well the materials ain't cheap with a shoulder running around $100 or so (depending).
But mostly it's the time that adds the value - it's labor intensive.
Whaddya think something like this is worth?
@Frank - well.... yeah! I like making them. I've been holding off getting too excited because I'd have more holsters than guns.
My next project was likely to be a scabbard for the rifle. Or maybe the boot holster njcioffi and I have been bandying around. Plus gotta couple of knives that need new sheaths...
Pretty talented keep posting pics of your new projects.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
So finishing up tonight. Here are the stages of construction.
First transferred the pattern I drew to the leather and started carving it.

View attachment 100111

Finishing up the decorating
View attachment 100112

Finished product
View attachment 100113
This is insanely beautiful, Bubba. The more I'm here in this community, the more I'm astounded at the many talents of guys like yourself. Thanks for pointing me to this and I'm really looking forward to learning more.

One question - your scan, and your folding mockup of the pattern. Sorry for the dumb question, but you just laid the scan of your pistol in the fold, to see length and width, yes? How does one determine if a holster will have a good fit for a particular sidearm - are there guidelines in terms of how much leather on either side, and below, to "grab" (don't know what to call it), retain a particular sidearm well?

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
One more and I have to say - you've just inspired me to make the perfect gift for my boy. He's going to get a Ruger, like his pop, and working in secret to produce something worthwhile like this, is really inspirational. Thanks Bubba again, for this thread.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.