Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know if others do this, but while casting some ingots today it crossed my mind to mention it. I use a letter stamp to mark each ingot, so I know whats what. Today I was casting pure lead, and stamped each ingot a couple of times with the letter P. It aready says LEE from the ingot mould, but they all say the same. Gonna need more lead soon.

Second thought, I own number and letter stamps, not everyone will. However a simple dot code with a center punch could work, or just scratch a letter with a knife point. Carefully.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I also mark my ingots after hardness testing but although having various number and letter stamps ended up using a marker pen to put the HBN no. on. As I told my boss once if you want to find the easy way to do a job give it to a lazy person,

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
You can buy, at a very reasonable and low price a set of stamps - letter and number from Harbor freight or Northern etc.

Quality may be questionable, but for stamping lead you don't need machinist quality.

I stamp my ingots, but not with some "code" as I want to be able to know what the ingot is, plus my son if he happens to use my left overs at some point down the line.

So, lead is "lead", Linotype is "lino" and wheel weights are marked "WW"

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
770 Posts
I've been doing that almost as long as I've been casting my own bullets.
The die/number set of stamps I bought from Harbor Freight work well - as Crusty Deary Ol Coot pointed out, they ain't machinist quality, but for stamping lead they work very well!
Since I have wheel weights, pure lead, #2 Alloy, 1/20 Alloy, X-Ray lead, and range P/U - having a stamp on the ingots sure eliminates any confusion about what's what!

WYT-P
Skyhunter

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have been writing on my ingots with a paint marker. Holds up well and if they harden over time a little acetone on a rag wipes the number away and I can write another. Can even color code them

Thanks, Dinny

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
I'm that lazy guy, I use a felt tip pen and just write on it. WW (wheel weights) PL (pure lead) and if I've taken the time to test the hardness, I'll write that on there too.

Reactions: tranteruk

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm that lazy guy, I use a felt tip pen and just write on it. WW (wheel weights) PL (pure lead) and if I've taken the time to test the hardness, I'll write that on there too.
Yes, ideal and no doubt works well. But you dont get to use a hammer, and for me thats the best part of any day, short of shooting of course.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
TranterUK, I don't use stamps, but when I melt down a big pot & then pour them into muffin pans ($.50 at a garage sale.), I mark them just as they start to harden.
Wheel weights get an "X", pure lead a "P" & linotype an "L". I've been doing that for nearly 50 years. Still easy to see (big enough). I use two different size muffin pans, the normal 3" & a smaller 1-1/2" when you want to add just a bit to the pot. These days, it seems like that I am using pretty much just straight ACWW as I am keeping everything in the 1200-1600 fps range!

Reactions: tranteruk
1 - 9 of 9 Posts