Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 1830 my son spotted a bear over 900 yards away. A good one from the looks of him. The young man said to me "Let's go get him." Reading the terrain, I knew what was ahead of us... Ugh. "Okay, sure. Let's go!" ;D Tossed my pack, with water, snacks and game-care tools on my back, and off we went. I was carrying my .375, and had the .44 S&W on my belt. My son was carrying the family .30-06 that he used to good effect on a bear last year.

It was a pretty brutal stalk. Down a steep hill at first, rocks and dirt sliding underfoot, then at the bottom of the ravine we pushed through a terrible tangle of brush. Was taking us five minutes to make ten yards in that stuff. Eventually we pushed through and made it up onto the rocks above where we'd last seen the bear. We knew we were in his living room: bear tracks, beaten down bear trails, fresh scat, ripe berries... Yee Haw!

Sadly, we didn't find the bear again, but it was a thrill locating one and stalking him. No baiting or hounds allowed here in Washington, it's just the hunter and the bear. I kind of like that, but it does make the odds of getting one pretty tough. Made it back to the truck well after dark, tired, sweaty, bug-bit, and really happy. It was a great afternoon and evening of hunting with my son.

Regards, Guy

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Another great report Guy. That looks to be some tuff terrain to cover. I'm not sure I'll ever be up to that again but it sure is exciting when members like yourself report their hunts to the forums.

bjm

·
Registered
221 Posts
That's some real tough hunting! Love the spot and stalk. Hard work I'm sure, but very gratifying win or lose. Love the pictures.

·
Premium Member
11,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chief RID - sorry - I should have mentioned that. It's a Ruger Number One single shot in .375 H&H. Picked it up a couple of years ago and it quickly became one of my favorite hunting rifles. I certainly don't need a .375 H&H, but it's been a lot of fun. I enjoy handloading for it, hunting with it and practicing at the range too. Took a decent Washington bear with it last fall, one shot at 306 yards. Recently replaced the old 2-7x Redfield with a new 1.5-5x Leupold. I took the bear with a 260 gr Nosler Accubond loaded to a modest 2620 fps, my favorite load for that rifle. Am hunting with the same load again this year.

Here's last year's bear and a photo of the rifle too:

Something about Ruger's Number One really grabs me. I like the way they look and handle. Very short and compact even with a full 24" barrel. Have owned several in the past but only have this .375 H&H now. It's a keeper.

Regards, Guy

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
Guy, once again your pics and stories keep us all dreaming. Very nice outing, can only imagine the adrenaline of stalking a bear.... and through that terrain.

1895gunner

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
Thanks for the report.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts