Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
I just made a deal with my buddy on a muzzleloader he says he never uses anymore. I have not seen it, but he claims it is like new and I believe him. All I really know is it is a stainless/synthetic, side hammer, .50 cal, Thompson Center. He couldn't remember the model, but from what I found online it must be a Gray Hawk?? I'll know more on Friday. He only wanted $50 so I bought it sight unseen.
Assuming that is what it is, does anyone have any incite on this gun? How do they shoot? Any problems I should know about?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I used a T/C Grayhawk until WV allowed scopes. 90 to 100 grains of pyrodex and the Buffalo Ballet or the 245 grain powerbelt worked great on whitetail. The barrel is set up with a round ball twist rate. It's a good gun. Keep your powder dry and enjoy it . Great buy.

Matt

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
Sound's like a great deal!! Have fun!

Reactions: mattusmc

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Congrats! Umm...we do need pics when you get it of course! Then we can properly drool...err congratulate you more!

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
That is a very good deal,i believe the bbl is 1 in 48 to allow for round ball or conical. My hunting partner used one for a few years in the New Mexico black powder season. You have to find the right load and it will do its job. I think you got a fantastic deal...

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guys,
Looks like I'll be picking this up tomorrow. He says he has a bunch of accessories and round balls to go with it. I'll definitely post some pics once I pick it up. If I like it I'll use it this year and let my son use my Omega .50 for blackpowder season. Thanks for the info guys. Pics will definitely be coming soon!

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
I think you can use barrels from the New Englander on it too. I am about 80% sure. That opens 12 gauge and a longer roundball barrel. You just need to keep the breech clean and clear and it won't give you problems. Enjoy

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)

Well here it is guys. Not exactly like new, but still well worth $50. I need to clean the nipple very good. That is the only spot with nasty corrosion. I figure worst case I'll replace the nipple. He also gave me about 40 round lead balls, 2 tins of #11 caps, a bunch of wads and sabots, bore butter, and solvent. Looks like all I'm lacking is powder and patches. He told me he used copper coated bullets and plastic sabots in it too but he couldn't find those. Anyway I can't wait to clean her up and try her out

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Congrats again on that rifle...wow....that looks great! I've never seen a stainless blackpowder rifle...I'm liking it!

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Congrats again on that rifle...wow....that looks great! I've never seen a stainless blackpowder rifle...I'm liking it!
Thanks! For the money I really had to buy it. I like the looks too. Old school, but sort of new school

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
A guy I worked with had one killed a deer almost every year when he could get to go off. Not the guns fault, he just did not grasp the concept of cleaning. Brought it in to me because he double loaded it. Had 100 grs Pyro, buffalo bullet from the previous year, another 100 grs Pyro, and another buffalo bullet, at least he did not try to shoot it out. I used my CO2 discharger and blew it out. I cleaned it up and oiled it down, and I could not find any rust.

·
Premium Member
6,122 Posts
Good deal good luck. It looks like a New England to me, so is it a Grey Hawk? I have never used Sabots in a 1 in 48 twist if that is what that ML. barrel is. But if that is a 1 in 48" twist you can use patch and ball or Maxi-ball type of projectiles. I have heard people using plastic Sabots that fit 45 cal. projectiles and 45 cal. handgun projectiles. I have done it many of times but in a "Green Mountain" barrel with a 1 in 28" twist. But if the Sabots and jacket bullets work well in your ML. go with it and have a ball.
T:biggrin: NY
PS T/C sells packed Sabots a jacket ML. bullets for their ML.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good deal good luck. It looks like a New England to me, so is it a Grey Hawk? I have never used Sabots in a 1 in 48 twist if that is what that ML. barrel is. But if that is a 1 in 48" twist you can use patch and ball or Maxi-ball type of projectiles. I have heard people using plastic Sabots that fit 45 cal. projectiles and 45 cal. handgun projectiles. I have done it many of times but in a "Green Mountain" barrel with a 1 in 28" twist. But if the Sabots and jacket bullets work well in your ML. go with it and have a ball.
PS T/C sells packed Sabots a jacket ML. bullets for their ML.
Yes it says Grey Hawk right on the barrel. I will probably try using the stuff I got with the rifle. I've never fired a muzzleloader like this one though. My only other one is a T/C Omega inline. I am not 100% sure the correct way to load round balls. I would like to find out if using 777 is appropriate in this gun. I have that for my Omega, however 2 pellets is 100 grains and I am not sure if this GH can handle 100 grains. I really wish he would have had the manual!!

·
Premium Member
6,122 Posts
Yes it says Grey Hawk right on the barrel. I will probably try using the stuff I got with the rifle. I've never fired a muzzleloader like this one though. My only other one is a T/C Omega inline. I am not 100% sure the correct way to load round balls. I would like to find out if using 777 is appropriate in this gun. I have that for my Omega, however 2 pellets is 100 grains and I am not sure if this GH can handle 100 grains. I really wish he would have had the manual!!
Use only black powder or powder substitutes not pellet charge in a sidelock. Its not like a Omega or any inline that uses a shotgun primer. Sidelosks might not shoot with pellets and then you'll have a problem. With the Omega you can unscrew the breech plug and clear it out "not with the Grey Hawk a sidelock", It can be done with special tools if you can find them or a gunsmith. There is a device that blows the stuck load out the muzzle that works with a Co2 cartridge.

If you call T/C they'll be happy the send you a T/C owners manual that will work with your GH. ML. If I can help you in anyway just ask I have a T/C manual for a Renegade Hunter which is similar. But I believe there is one T/C instruction for all sidelocks ML...

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Use only black powder or powder substitutes not pellet charge in a sidelock. Its not like a Omega or any inline that uses a shotgun primer. Sidelosks might not shoot with pellets and then you'll have a problem. With the Omega you can unscrew the breech plug and clear it out "not with the Grey Hawk a sidelock", It can be done with special tools if you can find them or a gunsmith. There is a device that blows the stuck load out the muzzle that works with a Co2 cartridge.

If you call T/C they'll be happy the send you a T/C owners manual that will work with your GH. ML. If I can help you in anyway just ask I have a T/C manual for a Renegade Hunter which is similar. But I believe there is one T/C instruction for all sidelocks ML...
Thanks for the advice. What do you know about the Magspark 209 adapters? I am looking online for the manual now

·
Premium Member
6,122 Posts
Thanks for the advice. What do you know about the Magspark 209 adapters? I am looking online for the manual now
I once had a T/C Firestorm a sidelock ML. that came factory to use pellets or powder the ignition was a 209 shotgun primer but the rifle wouldn't shoot reliably. I called T/C and ask if I was doing thing wrong and he said the firestorm with the 209 S/G ignition are having that problem and instructed me to drill a bigger hole in the flash hole ports. Well my answer was no I bought a NIB ML. rifle and it should work out of the box. His answer was send it in and we'll replace it with a different model ML. and that's how I now have a Renegade Hunter in replacement.
I have no faith in sidelock using pellet charges in my opinion pellet charges are for inline ML.s only. I couldn't even get my 209 ignition Firestorm to shoot with loose powder. The last time I look at T/C website the firestorm was only made in flintlock ML. rifles and the 209 S/G ignition was discontinued.

My advice is to buy a ML. pocket powder measure and a hand hold powder dispenser they're easy enough to use. The Grey Hawk was produce way before there was pellet charge propellant I believe.

If you want a better ignition try buying a musket nipple and use musket caps instead of #11 caps. But hey maybe the 209 S/G adapter will work for you. Hey you can only have a problem once ,bad on them, have it twice bad on you.
T:hmmmm: NY

·
Super Moderator
12,333 Posts
That's a good buy, I've owned 3 Greyhawks over the years and they are awesome all-weather guns. Sold the last one when I bought a stainless Firestorm from another MO, basically the same gun but with flintlock ignition instead. I might have an extra NOS nipple if you are interested. Have fun!

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
While I do not have a mag spark and really have never seen one in person I do not see how they are practical for a hunting situation.
1. You have to screw and unscrew the firing pin. At the range that may be ok but in the field I do not believe so.
2. It seals the breech. You will be pushing your load down compressing air in the breech. I would worry about the ball being pushed up the barrel. You can remove it but then the chances of loosing it increase.
3. There is nothing to be gained with the sub powders as a round ball can only be pushed so fast before you start to have patching issues.
4. I have visions of me down on my hands and knees at the base of my stand looking for the top half which I dropped from 15 feet up. :biggrin:
5. It is a solution to a problem which need not exist with proper powder choice.
6. When you need a follow up shot you really do not need another thing to do.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. I am going to try it as it is before making any mods, if any. If it works for me I'll use it like it is. Any advice on powder choices? Other than powder, I think he gave me everything I need to shoot round balls. I found some lead ball patches in one of the plastic bags he gave me. So I'll need powder and a powder measure for sure

1 - 20 of 24 Posts