Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the market for a new 45-70 and want stainless. It will be scoped with either a 1.5x5 or 2x7. Which NEW model Marlin would you go with and why? Main use will be whitetail hunting out of a tree stand or ground blind. Am leaning towards to a new SBL with the 18.5 inch barrel and happy to entertain other choices that might be a better choice from those with more experience than me.
Thank you
PS: Have zero interest in a JM model so save your debates:)

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I personally would go with the 1895GS, because I am partial to the straight stocks. Just my opinion.

Reactions: M1Riflenut

·
Super Moderator
15,424 Posts
Tromping through the woods I always leaned towards the shortest barrel I could get... Like the 16.5" trapper... Now I'm old and slow I'm more of a stand or blind guy so I have an 18.5" guide gun...

Your choices with the longer barrel are the SBL or the GS... Are you a pistol grip guy or a straight grip guy?

·
Premium Member
7,766 Posts
I prefer the full length plain jane 1895 with 20 inch barrel and pistol grip. not sure why you are against a jm stamped rifle? I own a few remlins and they are fine I have not found one in stainless so blued is the way i went.. would love to own a Stainless though

Reactions: rlm1

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I have a 1895 SBL and love it. Good fit and function. Took it deer hunting this year but saw no bucks. I have a Vortex Crossfire Scout Scope mounted and just had a friend give me a red dot. The red dot is mounted but with lousy weather have not yet tried it at the range however I think I will like it for woods hunting, very fast and my old eyes like it.

I do have plans to have a friend with a machine shop glass bead it to give it more of a satin finish.

Padraig

·
Registered
406 Posts
Last year I got an 1895 GBL since I prefer a blued rifle in the woods and I think for me stainless may be too visible at close range and on the ground. I have a 1.5x5 scope on another 45-70 I have used since 1972. That is mounted low with Weaver mounts and rings. This rifle has a straight grip and the GBL a pistol grip, and I can't tell the difference when hunting or on the range. Others might.

I think an SBL is a very good choice and will be especially handy in the woods, tree or blind. I have come to like the shorter barrels for several reasons.

The newer Marlins have come close to the quality of the earlier Marlins. I know some will disagree, but I have four newer rifles and five older rifles in the mix.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I wanted stainless but not shiny, so I went with a GSBL. Stainless but ferro-nitrided surface treatment gives it a tough, Matt black finish. The laminated stock is green so overall more discreet than the (lovely) SBL.

GSBL not so common though.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No debate but, please educate on your reasons.
Because I owned 3 different JM's in the early 2000's. Two were 45-70's and one was a 450. Had feeding issues with all three. They were not built well, gaps everywhere.
I will not give them a 4th chance.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can tell this is going to be a more difficult decision than I thought. Lots of different opinions.
Thank you

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
For me, if I were to buy a "new" Marlin i think it would be the SBL or the trapper. Probably the trapper

·
Registered
323 Posts
My first Marlin was the straight stock 1894CS357, and it was love at first shoot.
I later acquired a 94 FG with it’s curved stock and fell in love with that, too. I thought I was ruined forever for the straight stocks and then I bought a used 1895 GS and I couldn’t be happier with it.

If you want more than four rounds in the mag tube, get an SBL. If 4 + 1 (in the chamber, trigger at half cock and crossbolt safety on), then look at a GS.

Attachments

·
Registered
501 Posts
I started my search with the full intent of buying a SBL but I ended up with a GS.

Excuse me while I ramble through the thought process that got me there.

I like the SBL pistol grip better than the straight grip on the GS, that's the main difference between the two that I like better on the SBL than the GS.

Both still have an 18.5" barrel and side gate loading with no removable tube which is effectively rendered useless when a suppressor is mounted. These are the two main features I was looking for, 16.5" seemed to short and 20" or more seemed to much ... the 18.5 is just right.

The rest of the "upgrades" on the SBL are nice but they don't really mean that much to me like the ghost ring sight, the extra long rail, the big loop and the +2 capacity. They're all nice to haves but none are deal breakers for me.

In the end I chose to keep the $500 difference (at the time) in my pocket by going with the GS and learning to live with the straight stock.

However, the "upgrades" are a bargain at the current $300 difference if any of them mean enough to you. A stock conversion alone from straight to pistol grip will run you up around $300 with new parts.

And maybe part of the reason I went with the GS is because I was ready to buy and there was a NIB GS available for ~$700 and the best NIB SBL price I could find at the time was ~$1200 ... thus a $500 difference at the time.

Right now I see a NIB SBL in stock for ~$1000 including shipping, a current $300 difference in price, and if both had been available when my will power broke I can't say for sure which one I would have bought. Although I am more partial to the walnut than the laminate.

If it's stainless you're looking for I don't think you can go wrong with either one. The Dark is park'd and Henry doesn't have a stainless that I know about.

P.S. - I may fix the "shiny" with a blast of beads in the garage one day. Also, there is a chemical darkener available for stainless ... it's not guaranteed to be a perfectly smooth finish but, if you're like me, utility is more important than looks in my guns.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just sold my Henry H010. Great rifle, shot and fed good, trigger was pretty good. We just never grew attached. I have a GBL that's still new in the box but for some reason have my heart set on a stainless rifle. Noticed the price of the SBL's has fallen some since I looked a few months ago. Leaning towards the SBL but nothing in stone at this point. The scope rail is not very important to me as I have a set of Talley lightweights left over from the Henry. And I believe they will fit the Marlin.

Reactions: doubloon

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have an 1895 SBL and an 1895 GS. The extra two rounds on the SBL isn't a big deal for me, but I do prefer the pistol grip stock and bigger loop lever.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts