Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I'm going to pull the trigger on an XS7 in 7mm08. Should I get an SS or blue one? Either has to be ordered. Should I spend the extra $105 on a SS model? When I looked at a pair of 30.06 XL7s the blue gun appeared to have better craftsmanship than the SS one. I do like the idea of having an all weather gun though.

·
Registered
107 Posts
well I love stainless, especially for "serious use" guns (weather resistant like you said) but I don't know that I could justify spending another $100 for one.

Personally if I were you I'd just buy both, it's not like you can have too many!

·
Registered
981 Posts
You can buy alot of rust proofing for your blued gun with $100. I know Brownells sells an spray coating that is supposed to make metal rustproof even in salt water. ;)

I'd buy the blued one and then give it a anti-rust overcoat and never worry again about it. :D

·
Registered
638 Posts
It is a misconception that stainless will not rust. Well yes it does. It just takes a bit less care than a blue gun. So at least for myself Stainless or Blue is not a Big Deal since no matter what I am doing when I am finished handling a firearm I always wipe them down with an oil rag before putting them up.

So really just pick the one you like best and run with it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I would say it depends on your climate and intended use.
If you hunt in the rain sometimes but get home afterwards and can (and will) oil down the rifle the blue might be fine.
But if you are going to use it on more extreme camping type hunts after some foul weather sometimes you can't take care of the gun as well as you should and this is a good time to pick a SS rifle.
If it's just plain wet and humid where you are at go SS too.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Food For Thought The Stainless Will Rust It is High Carbon SS ::) Stick a Magnet on It if it sticks It will rust ... Coat Your Gun Hope this helps DD

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
Like others have said, stainless will rust... It is only a matter of time.

Last fall, during the elk season, I hunted in rain for four days straight, followed by three days of pretty heavy, wet snow. Had to take an afternoon off from hunting to strip down my XLR. Rusticles were already beginning to rear their ugly heads. Took the rifle down completely, sprayed all parts with WD-40, dry wiped all parts, then cleaned and oiled as normal. After that, it was back to the field we went for more rain/snow. Had to repeat the process at the end of the elk season a second time.

Three years ago, my blued CZ was beginning to show signs of abhorrent oxidation within 24 hours after hunting in a blizzard for one day.

Point is, either will rust - - stainless will buy you some time for critical cleaning, whereas blued rifles will require more immediate attention. In either case, a piece of good electrical tape on the muzzle never hurts, either... ;)

As for shootability of carbon vs. stainless, there are many opinions as to which is better. Personally, I haven't seen too much difference between carbon vs. stainless rifles with respect to accuracy, break-in time, etc. Perhaps, soemone with more experience will chime in on that side of the topic.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I still can't decide which way to go. I like stainless but I'm having a hard time justifying it.

I was taught long ago that its called stainless because it rusts less. It would be called stainproof steel if it didn't rust.

·
Registered
136 Posts
FWIW, I have a Winchester M70 Classic Stainless for an elk rifle that is used in rotten conditions and hardly ever gets hit with an oil rag, and there is not a speck of rust on it, never has had any, and I suspect it never will.
And yes, a magnet will stick to it.
IMHO a SS rifle will resist rust much better than blue steel. At least this one does.

·
Registered
54 Posts
ATF (automatic transmission fluid) is a great rust preventative and gun lube.

For several years I’ve been running various replacement barrels in 4140 CM. Finished unpolished with liquid cold blue which does almost nothing to prevent rust so I’ve heard.
To properly finish these short chambered barrels right off the lathe you are supposed to use fine emery cloth to polish them before bluing. Then more time and money. Well I buff them with steel well to remove anything that will cut me. Then just blue them with Brownells Oxpho-Blue at one single coat. Let sit a few hours or over night then buff for ten seconds with OOOO steel wool. Oil with ATF and shoot for a few years until the bore is worn out.

I have a few guns around here older than I am. And I’m not young. Only guns I ever had rusting issue with was hanger queen rifles I bought that had laid up in closets for twenty years and had brown bores which were junk. WD-40 has killed a many good guns.

I’ve watched my buddies play with SS barrels an I just stick with 4140 CM steel.
Save the money you’d spend on a SS gun and buy a good Dewy or other brand cleaning rod so you don’t gouge your bore.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
WYcoyote said:
FWIW, I have a Winchester M70 Classic Stainless for an elk rifle that is used in rotten conditions and hardly ever gets hit with an oil rag, and there is not a speck of rust on it, never has had any, and I suspect it never will.
And yes, a magnet will stick to it.
IMHO a SS rifle will resist rust much better than blue steel. At least this one does.
Give it a chance and the rust will bear it's ugly head. I noticed that stainless rifles and pistols show rust first around screws and the bases of sights. Might not be as noticable but will show up. I have known several people that did not take care of their rifles before during or after hunting and when they finally noticed problems it was exactly that! a problem and was hard to restore.
Bought a stainless muzzle loader from a guy and it had not been cleaned ever but he had not had it for very long. To make a long story short, I picked it up cheap and had to replace the nipple and the bore was scrubbed but never did clean out very well. Sold it and recovered what I had in it and made some for my troubles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts