Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure by now some of you may have caught on.. I like to get on a kick about getting a new gun for a while.. then find something else I "need" and change topics quickly. Sorry if this annoys any of y'all but I really appreciate any input I can get from more experienced shooters/hunters. I would really like to get a marlin in the good ol' 45/70. I looked at the usual places, Cabelas, Bass Pro and buds. Buds has the ss guide gun for under 700 shipped, so with ffl and all that jazz we'll call it 7. Seems to me that that's a steal for anything in ss these days. Would it be worth the risk of getting a crappy remlin at this point? A pal of mine owns an lgs and swears he hasn't seen any downsides to the rem takeover.. either he's a damn good liar or he gets really lucky, knowing him though he'd refuse anything subpar from anybody.. so I might look so see if he could order em in himself. This may not become an actual purpose for a few months at least, my brain and trigger finger are always more active than my wallet is.. also, do they make the guide guns ported from factory anymore?

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Well, I just purchased a Remlin SBL, but i was able to see it and handle it at my LGS. I wouldn't buy one sight unseen yet...looks like they may finally be getting their act together at Remington, but I wouldn't bet $700 on it!

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Only buy a Remlin if you can look at it and run the action. I just had a buddy snag a beautiful GS for around 750. Rock solid JM rifle.

·
Registered
20,502 Posts
1)Would it be worth the risk of getting a crappy remlin at this point? NO! Make sure you cand handle/cycle it with your own eyes/hands before you plop down your hard earned $$$
2)A pal of mine owns an lgs and swears he hasn't seen any downsides to the rem takeover.. either he's a damn good liar or he gets really lucky... another possible answer is he hasn't seen/handeled the "new" Marlins in his shop since the takeover! That IMO, is the only way he COULDN'T know about the REMLINS!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He's had at least a few Remlins go through stock since the takeover. I've never examined the ones he's got though.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Wouldn't buy a new one without being able to put my hand's on it to inspect it.Most of the one's I have seen the last couple month's have been nice then I looked at a 1895 45-70 at Gander Mountain a couple weeks ago that they just got in that day wasn't that good the forend cap was on very crooked and looked like crap.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have two friends and after they seen and shot my JM 1895GG,they just had to have a Marlin 1895.Each of them went to the same LGS,just last week,and paid for two of them @ $599.00 each.They got the 20 inch barrel models.Looks wise,they were so-so with one being better wood then the other.Neither came even close to the beauty of my tree. The wood to metal fit was ok also but again,not as nice as my JM.Slap some stock finish or linseed oil on the wood and it will turn them into a different rifle.The actions seemed smooth enough and work flawlessly at my little range behind the barn.Accuracy wise,I was quite impressed and so were they.They were shooting the Hornady 325 gr. LE's and making tiny little clover leafs at the 100 yard targets,from a front rest and a rear bag with butt up against the shoulder.Now I'll say this: if they had any remorse when they bought the Remlins,they sure didn't have any remorse when the drove back down my driveway.

Reactions: Ocduff
1 - 8 of 8 Posts