·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Get em while they're hot!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Interested in these for my 60, but I am a bit put off that I have to channel the stock for the ammo tube on a "finished stock". :-[

Still debating, there are not many options for the 60 on aftermarket stocks...except ugly polymer looking contraptions. And only a few of those at that...

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You might want to check the THUMBHOLE stocks, I just finished up one and the 60 drops right in nicely

·
Registered
7 Posts
GJinNY said:
You might want to check the THUMBHOLE stocks, I just finished up one and the 60 drops right in nicely
Yeah those do look really nice. If they would come back in stock..they only have the black synthetic right now. Which isn't bad. But the Nutmeg is beautiful.

Did you order your SS Evolution for a 60 or a 795?

I would like to know what sort of modifications are needed to get the tube feed in...

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is not inletted for the 60, but I bet the 795 will drop right in.
I am currently filing the channel for the tube.
I am not sure how far in I have to go with it so it is a slow process.

I am anxious to see how the tube style will look in it.

I actually have a 75C to put in it, same as a 60 but a shorter barrel and tube.
The SS stock is smaller to I think it will be a good match.
I hope to have a photo up this weekend.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I picked up a coarse, round file at Loews and have been at it a half hour. Slow as she goes filing out that channel for the tube to fit in. It's going well and I think I am half way there. Looks it will have to be almost 1/2 inch deep and 3 " - 4" of wood has to come out.
Not for the novice. Wrap/cover the nose of the forearm to keep from scratching it up. I'll put up a picture so far tonight later.

·
Registered
7 Posts
GJinNY said:
I picked up a coarse, round file at Loews and have been at it a half hour. Slow as she goes filing out that channel for the tube to fit in. It's going well and I think I am half way there. Looks it will have to be almost 1/2 inch deep and 3 " - 4" of wood has to come out.
Not for the novice. Wrap/cover the nose of the forearm to keep from scratching it up. I'll put up a picture so far tonight later.
That's all I needed to know. Not for me. I'm to afraid of getting it crooked or messing up a nice "finished" stock.

Well, I think their thumbhole stocks are already channeled. So I'll just wait for those...

I do find it a little humorous that it is listed as a Marlin 60/795 stock, but is not actually ready for either model. Both require significant woodworking to fit....

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea, taking my time....about 3 hours slow and careful...worth it I think.

Here's a few pics:

I put the file in my hand drill...took alot of wood quickly back and forth, saved alot of time.

I switched over to just hand filing and kept settting the barrel/receiver in to check the fit.

I think I am about done....so there she is, a Glenfield 75C in the Jacaranda Boyds SS stock.
I just need to add the scope and swivel studs.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got the scope on it now too

Reactions: stickem2

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
TG = Trigger Guard? Sorry, I am new at gun part names.

·
Registered
7 Posts
GJinNY said:
TG = Trigger Guard? Sorry, I am new at gun part names.
Yeah he was asking to see the trigger guard inletting on the stock. With the new style trigger I don't think any modification is needed. With a 795 modification of the TG area and magazine hole needs to be cut.

But looks like for a 60, all that would need to be done is this channel. Is there a specific size notation that an amateur should know on that round file? Or it is just a standard round wood file?

I'm still debating. It doesn't look to crazy, but then again...that channel needs to be perfectly straight coming out of the stock..and that worries me...

------------------

Another funny thing, the inletting photos on Boyd's look almost like they are already channeled for the ammo tube, but clearly that is not the case...

The pics from Boyd's of inletting for anyone interested...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Another funny thing, the inletting photos on Boyd's look almost like they are already channeled for the ammo tube, but clearly that is not the case...

The pics from Boyd's of inletting for anyone interested...

·
Registered
734 Posts
Well I wished the 795 TG would drop right in.
They won't get my money, for a stock listed to fit a 795, until they do.
What is the problem that they cant do this??
Perhaps they are not prepared for the huge sales volume to follow.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1) The older METAL trigger guards for Glenfields and Marlin 60's and 75's have a little longer extension the back end. A steady hand with the appropriate drill bit will make room for it.

2) The tube channel was a long and steady process, but worth it. The channel looks to be about 4" long from that step oval inlet or about 5" from where the receiver sits inside the stock. The channel is almost 1/2" wide at the thickest and + 3/8" deep at the thickest. A solid gun vice helped alot. I had to clean out the saw dust every minute or so.

I would rub a little gun oil on the bottom of the feed tube and press the barrel down towards the stock to see where the high spot in the channel hitting the tube was and need to take more wood out of. The oil would transfer a dark wet spot.
You'll know when you've channeled out enough wood when you tighten the front take down screw and the feed tube DOES NOT squeeze up tight to the barrel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the information and pictures GJ. One question though..

I noticed this section, comes channeled already in the SS Evolution inletting. (or atleast it appears so on the website)

Is this some kind of depth-cheater or the ammo tube? Like a partial channel, put in to guide the poor 60 users..lol. ????

It seems like it is lower than the barrel would need and it does not extend to the fore end, so it seems that would be the only purpose it would serve? If so that makes it sound a little more manageable...

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have no idea what that section is for, it could have been filled in and had no effect.
Maybe part of the tooling process.

I took the front sight off and I like it better now:

Reactions: cemiii
1 - 20 of 45 Posts