Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
I shoot Remington Golden Bullet hollow points in that rifle. Nothing special about them except for one important fact - when I bought the rifle in 2009 I range-tested several brands and the Goldens just happened to be the most accurate in my particular 39.

OK, thanks for the feedback. RP Thunderbolts just happen to be the most accurate in my TC Contender - go figure. I pay no attention to what others claim is the worst ( or the best ) but insist on trying them myself.

Reactions: Judson

·
Registered
38 Posts
I must have shot an actual pickup truck bed full of ground squirrels with my 39M topped with an old Weaver 4x. That gun thankfully loved the old Winchester Wildcat brick ammo and I used them to made my all time best shot: clipping a chipmunk square in the middle of the head, offhand at 125 yards which goes to show that even a fool gets lucky sometimes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have no idea how many squirrels I've killed with my 39a. Most were head shot. I have a couple of pecan trees on my place. I have limited out many times hunting them. I built a ground blind under one. You have to be patient and wait for good shots. I plan to try my Ruger Mark 3 the next hunt. I'll have my 39a or my Model 60 too.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My 39A dates from the early 1960s when I bought it new for $70-$75, IIRC. It has accounted for more squirrels than I could possibly count. It wears a fine Lyman receiver sight and is about as accurate as a .22LR can get. The only .22LR that can beat it (slightly) is my Kimber of Oregon Custom Classic from over 35 years ago. Love that 39A.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Strange about the different color combinations of squirrels. Down here in La., the "grey" squirrels have white under-bellies. We call them "cat squirrels".
The fox squirrels have orange bellies and orange tinted tails. They are lots bigger than the greys, and not nearly as fast...……. Some times you will kill
a solid black fox squirrel....

·
Premium Member
13,992 Posts
We have the big eared Aberts squirrels around here, they live in Ponderosa Pine forests from Wyoming, clear down to southern Durango in Mexico.
They have a reddish streak down the back and a white underbelly.
Those are pretty squirrels.

Reactions: Judson

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
We have the big eared Aberts squirrels around here, they live in Ponderosa Pine forests from Wyoming, clear down to southern Durango in Mexico.
They have a reddish streak down the back and a white underbelly.
Once I retire, if I am ever able too.... I plan on traveling the US, and getting the squirrel slam, all species. Those Alberts are on the top of the list. Awesome looking critters. I have a few years to go until I can retire, but looking forward to a long road trip for squirrels.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.