Marlin Firearms Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,474 Posts
I have never herd grey squirrels called European Squirrels, they been in Ohio since before it was a state so I doubt they came from across the pond. We have got a lot of gifts that keep on giving like English Sparrows, Carp and several invasive plants.

ive always called them cat squirrels.
thats what the old timers here called them when i was young.

·
Registered
10,730 Posts
The wife had some landscaping done here, I saw a one *****footing across the rock, I though it was hurt at first then he turned & his nads were dragging on the rock. I think I would walk careful too if it was me.....

Reactions: Arky73

·
Registered
10,730 Posts
If ya'll save the tails Mepps will buy them, for their spinner baits.

Reactions: Arky73

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Update. I am up to 78 total for the year. Been a good spring season. About to get too hot!!! But I have had fun. Seen some new woods, found some new spots for fall. Switched over to the Mossberg 500 Turkey 410. Still shooting 2.5” shells. Here is the last 6 I got, and the Mossberg.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
When I was a kid it was totally different here fox squirrel's were farm land corn field squirrel's and gray's deep woods squirrel's but that's all changed. As a kid a gray was a trophy but now they are everywhere. - Locoman

·
Registered
12,960 Posts
Me and a buddy went out in evening for couple hours early in season. Normally we don’t like to squirrel hunt until a good frost. It was hot that evening and we didn’t shoot a squirrel. Walking back to truck on a road that was like a tunnel the trees from both sides meet in middle, common here. Squirrel with walnut in its mouth was crossing over the road. Shot him and he fell right in middle of road. It was a Grey and the walnut was the head of a fox squirrel. It wasn’t fresh skull with some hide and hair. We have herd stories about Greys and Fox squirrels fighting over turf. Some said this was only because of salt in skull?

I have seen 3 squirrel migrations. 2 were Greys and both in spring. They looked like a carpet crossing the road and trees were full of them like flock of starlings. The Fox squirrel migration was in late January. There was snow on and the number of squirrels was less than 100. This move was attributed to moving to a food source. I herd of another one involving Greys on a state highway. So many were run over the road was slick, according to rumor.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts