Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Arkansas Squirrel opened up May 15. Here are a few pics so far. Decided to use a 410 all season this year. Makes me have to get closer to them.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh yea, the squirrel cleaning buddy I got last year works perfect. Should have bought one years ago!

Attachments

·
Registered
12,960 Posts
Hey, that is pretty neat. Never herd tell of one before. I could have used one when I was younger. Now I only shoot what the governor allows, 4 per day. Only tool I use is a couple 16p spikes to skin the tail. Brush wrench.

·
Super Moderator
23,474 Posts
That could be a whole new thread, how to skin a squirrel.....I cut them around the middle and skin 'em "like a cat".

my dad had a homemade squirrel hanger he used for years.
went in the stake hole on a truck bed.
i tried using it but hated it.
i can work one over the way i do it faster.
it all depends on what a man gets used to i suppose.

i cut inward from each hind foot then unzip him from the chin
down. start on one side from the bottom...once i work my thumb
around one hind leg its as good as done. cut the tail and work across
to the other hind leg, pull with tail/hide in one hand and hind legs
in the other. work the front legs out and pull the hide over the head.
done aside from gutting.
complete different from the way my dad did it but its my way and
it works fine for me.
i sit on my steps and clean mine.
i got a bad foot and when i get in i need
to get off it.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Never tried squirrel. Here on the wrong coast the big gray ones are protected. That leaves just ground squirrels.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Nice, is there much difference in taste between the fox squirrel and the little gray’s. I need to get out with my grandson, our season opened May 15.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Yup, I cut them around the back and stick my fingers in and rip the hide off to there feet. Dike off the feet with an old pair of dikes and cut around the neck and twist it off. I don't eat the brains like my FIL. If he were alive today he would chastise me about not saving the head. LOL

·
Registered
387 Posts
Nice haul Arky73. We start in Virginia on the 6th and go to the 20th. We usually go for greys and fox and I'm seeing more fox than usual, but our limit is six a day. I should try a .410 now that the leaves are out and think that would be good advice. I am a .22 man mostly and have been since I took my first squirrel as a boy with a Savage single shot I still have. I am likely to hunt with a Marlin 39A now, though. The buddy in interesting and I'll check it out. We still do it the old timer way with cutting at the tail, slicing down the legs, standing on the tail and skinning it like taking off a sock. It is entertaining watching the new squirrel hunters taking instruction from the old timers.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice, is there much difference in taste between the fox squirrel and the little gray’s. I need to get out with my grandson, our season opened May 15.
Around here, Fox are tough, I fry the small grays, use the Fox for dumplings, stew. Taste the same.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
that's a good haul man.
what flavor shotgun you using?
Thanks.
That’s a Mossberg 500, 410. It’s done good, my 3rd one. The first two didn’t pattern well. They got sold. This ones a keeper. These little 410’s have grown on me.

·
Super Moderator
23,474 Posts
that's a good haul man.
what flavor shotgun you using?
Thanks.
That’s a Mossberg 500, 410. It’s done good, my 3rd one. The first two didn’t pattern well. They got sold. This ones a keeper. These little 410’s have grown on me.

Here is my 500 4-10

Attachments

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Navajo,
That’s a sweet looking set up. They are good little guns, especially for the money. I like that scope on there!
It’s gonna be a challenge to use one where I hunt. A lot of the old bottom land hardwoods are easily 100’ tall, and I am restricting myself to 2.5” shells. It’s gonna be a challenge, but that’s why I am doing it.
My uncle had an old bolt action Sears 410, and he killed truckloads of squirrels with that old gun. He’s gone now, and I figured I would test my stalking skills and patience, and get as close as I could for the right and ethical shot.
Gonna be fun!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts