Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even though I'm impatienly waiting for the Missouri deer season to open, I've been having good luck hunting squirrels. I've killed 26 in 5 trips afield. I only have a few in my freezer since the landowner loves them & I'm happy to oblige him--I also hunt deer & doves on his land.

I also gave some squirrels to my muzzleloading mentor, the good friend who has helped me build 2 blackpowder rifles. What a craftsman! If I had his skills I'd be a happy dude.

DRSLYR

·
Premium Member
12,156 Posts
I have not cooked one up in years. I have killed some when they decided my Tomatoes were theirs. When I was a very young kid the first hunting I ever did was right here where I live today, hunting squirrel at day break with my dad. When we got back to the house mom would fry them for breakfast in a cast iron pan on the stove.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I live way back in the woods in southern Missouri. As I set on my front porch squirrels play, frolic, climb trees and chase each other seemingly continuously all day. I could kill literally hundreds of them if I wanted to. I enjoy their frolics much more than anything I could gain killing them. The same is true of deer and turkeys which are also quite numerous here.

Reactions: Travlin

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
ahhh !! a man after me whittle little heart !
wishes i had a nickle for every hour i spent in the squirrel woods !
i too am a black powder fan .. H&A .36 underhammer buggy rifle.. oh yea !
mean while ..back at the ranch .. I've ordered a custom made southern poorboy .40 flintlock..
can't wait !

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
"I live way back in the woods in southern Missouri. As I set on my front porch squirrels play, frolic, climb trees and chase each other seemingly continuously all day. I could kill literally hundreds of them if I wanted to. I enjoy their frolics much more than anything I could gain killing them. The same is true of deer and turkeys which are also quite numerous here."

I felt the same way about the squirrels around my N. Georgia woods home; that is until the little [email protected]#%*!#s started chewing up my house. They'd come onto the back porch and chew big chunks out of the columns and bannisters, chew holes in moldings, door trim, boxing; and would even climb onto the window sills and chew the corners off my wooden shutters. They did hundreds of dollars in damage to my home before I ended the plague with my 12 gauge shotgun.​

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Wow, 26 for the pot - well done.

Most of our squirrels are gray furred with reddish tails but in the last few years I've noticed some very dark, black colored squirrels here. There is one that is jet black on the front half and standard squirrel gray on the back half. He looks like you held him by the tail and dipped him head & paws first in black dye, up to his belly, then pulled him back out. Cool little dude. Until he makes a move for my attic!

rjathon: pan fried in olive oil, flour/salt/pepper coating... squirrel nuggets.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
"I live way back in the woods in southern Missouri. As I set on my front porch squirrels play, frolic, climb trees and chase each other seemingly continuously all day. I could kill literally hundreds of them if I wanted to. I enjoy their frolics much more than anything I could gain killing them. The same is true of deer and turkeys which are also quite numerous here."

I felt the same way about the squirrels around my N. Georgia woods home; that is until the little [email protected]#%*!#s started chewing up my house. They'd come onto the back porch and chew big chunks out of the columns and bannisters, chew holes in moldings, door trim, boxing; and would even climb onto the window sills and chew the corners off my wooden shutters. They did hundreds of dollars in damage to my home before I ended the plague with my 12 gauge shotgun.​
+1, the little SOB's are always tearing up my wife's flower beds so I have standing orders to snipe the "tree rats" with my .177 pellet rifle. So far this year I've bagged 70 of the little maggots.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I felt the same way about the squirrels around my N. Georgia woods home; that is until the little [email protected]#%*!#s started chewing up my house. They'd come onto the back porch and chew big chunks out of the columns and bannisters, chew holes in moldings, door trim, boxing; and would even climb onto the window sills and chew the corners off my wooden shutters. They did hundreds of dollars in damage to my home before I ended the plague with my 12 gauge shotgun.
I've not had that problem with squirrels yet. My property is destroyed by ground hogs that chew the siding off of my buildings and armadillos that dig holes in my yard. Those critters I shoot on sight, I let the buzzards clean them up.

Reactions: DRSLYR and dpe.ahoy

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
nothing like squirrel pot pies...my mom made an awesome one and she precooked the meat slow then browned it to have it fall off the bones..made a gravy for the pies with the bacon drippings and fresh mushrooms..MMMMMMMMMMMM good

Reactions: dpe.ahoy

·
Registered
175 Posts
Fry them, either in cast iron skillet or in a deep fry, either way, good!
Cold front passing through here now, so I will be hunting them this weekend.
They have already eaten my Father's pecans, walnuts, and starting on the hickory.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Haven't killed them in years but I grew up with squirrel dumplings and chicken fried squirrel.

Reactions: DRSLYR and dpe.ahoy

·
Registered
46 Posts
I love squirrels (cooked). I don't like them wild, as they want to get in my house. I've got lots of them in my back yard, which I can't shoot, living in town. Recipes? You want recipes? Here's one....parboil several squirrel legs for an hour or so to tenderize. Young squirrels won't need this,but do it anyway. After parboiling, take them out and let them dry, batter them in flour and brown in hot grease. When browned on all sides, put them in a pan and season them, cover pan, add chicken or beef broth, and cook them, covered, for about an hour or so. The flour will make a gravy, which you need to flavor to taste with pepper and salt. About five minutes before serving, add a half cup of bourbon and let it cook off. This flavors the squirrel wonderfully.

Serve over rice or with biscuits. It's wonderful. James Beard is credited with this recipe.

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
The old lady's bird feeders keep up to a dozen around the house.I enjoy watching them frolic,but when they start climbing up underneath the vehicles and chewing wires it's time to thin them out.I shot eight in Va's "summer season in June of this year,four one day and four the next,four is about all I care to clean at one sitting.Anyhow , I boiled the whole batch with some smoked pork fat,removed the bones,then added fresh vegetables and some rehydrated wild mushrooms and cooked until the vegetables were tender.Just throw in whatever you like/got,parsnips are one of my favorites.

I have always loved squirrel hunting in the deep woods.Hearing a nut shaving fall or the dew shaken from a leafy branch,then the stalk begins.I don't walk so well these days so bagging a few out the kitchen window and sopping up Burnswick stew with homemade biscuits is better than nothing.:eating:

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
Another way is to pan fry, just to brown and place in a pressure cooked for 10 minutes. The meat falls off the bone. Trust me , I ain't got many teeth left:biggrin:

Reactions: DDDWho and DRSLYR
1 - 20 of 20 Posts