Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought it might be nice to gather everyones hot tips for squirrel hunting into one place so lets hear ya'lls best tips....

My hottest tip is the Knight & Hale Squirrel Call,,,,I have had excellent results using it.....

Does anyone have a good tip on how to get a squirrel thats hung up in tree limbs down???

·
Registered
131 Posts
.58 cal muzzel loading tree limb buster. :p takes the limb off and the squirrel falls with it..

You want squirrel hunting tips check out squirrel hunters of the tree kind thread read all 30+ pages you will have enough to fill a book.

G

·
firstshot said:
Hunt wherever SQUACKS says is a good place!

firstshot
That's a good start... he makes it look so easy.

I got some good advice earlier this year - know what they're eating then try to concentrate on those types of trees. Saves a bit of time.

Sweetman

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bowdog said:
.58 cal muzzel loading tree limb buster. :p takes the limb off and the squirrel falls with it..

You want squirrel hunting tips check out squirrel hunters of the tree kind thread read all 30+ pages you will have enough to fill a book.

I was hoping to get the tips a little more condensed in this thread....Theres too much extra curricular activity in the Sqirrel Hunters thread....I've tried reading thru the old posts in that thread and I did learn quite a bit but it takes a lot of reading to get the tips.....

Say,,,does anyone know what times of the year squirrels have their litters and how long it takes before they ween them???

Also,,,what breed of dog makes the best squirrel dog???

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
coyote killer said:
How do you preserve a squirrel tale???
In cooler weather I'd just leave them outside where no critters could get to them. You CAN try to partially skin it to remove the hunk of muscle that's at the base of the tail and sprinkle a little salt on the hide, obviously keep it out of damp air. Another way is to toss it in the freezer and let the meet get freezer burned. That way the meat dries out and you have a squack tail. Id this just fo S&G's or for decoration?

As far as tips go...find a spot and STAY STILL! Watch with your ears more than your eyes too.

·
Registered
264 Posts
firstshot said:
Hunt wherever SQUACKS says is a good place!

firstshot
Thats a fact.
The man can be driving down a dirt road before sun-up and tell you what kind of mast a tree has.

·
Registered
932 Posts
There are a few things that you want to concentrate on to hunt squirrels.
As said earlier, know what they are eating. That is knowing which mast is ripe and abundant. In late Aug early Sept hickory is what I look for around here, then walnut and acorns. If you have a spring season, look for mulberry trees. Go slow, don't be in a hurry about anything. Squirrels notice the slightest movement and the slightest noise. Use cover to your advantage. It's easier hunting squirrels when the leaves are on than when they are off. Look INTO the trees not at them. Find a good place to sit or stand by a tree, don't move, listen, watch. You may be able to shoot your limit without ever moving. If you shoot a squirrel, mark where it fell and stay still for about 10 minutes to see if any others are around. After you stay in one place for about 30 minutes and see nothing, move very slowly to another place around 100 yds or so. As you move keep your ears open. Make sure your rifle is accurate and sighted in. You need to be able to hit a quarter at what ever distance your shooting.
Preserving a squirrel tail: You must remove the bone from the tail. Do this by splitting the hide down the tail at least half way, then you can start working the hide off the tail to where the split stops then you can crook your finger around the bone on one side and your thumb on the other side and slip the rest of the bone out of the tail. Then you can split the rest of the tail all the way to the end. Lay it on a flat surface and liberally salt the inside of the tail so it will dry. You can do the same thing with the hide if you want to. After it's dried I add a paste made from alum powder and a little water and let it dry. This will rough tan the hide.

·
Registered
87 Posts
squirrels seem to be everywhere here in north carolina, at least where i hunt. lots of read and white oak acorns in the woods that i hunt. hickorys are plentiful too. all the spots are good. cant seem to find one that stands out as best.

killed a couple yesterday to make squirrel dumplins with. i usually kill only what i want to eat at any given time. could probably limit out everytime if i wanted.

i use my ruger single six .22 most of the time when i am serious about squirrels. i carry along my marlin 989m2 for the long shots. it's a 1971 model. still shoots great after thousands of rounds.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I had a Fox Terrier who loved to walk the woods with me his ears and nose seemed to work over time and he would stare in the direction of squirrels any time one was around. I could use his ears as a back sight and his nose as front seemed I killed more squirrels with him around than I do now. He was a terrier/something mix but a good dog.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Sarge said:
There are a few things that you want to concentrate on to hunt squirrels.
As said earlier, know what they are eating. That is knowing which mast is ripe and abundant. In late Aug early Sept hickory is what I look for around here, then walnut and acorns. If you have a spring season, look for mulberry trees. Go slow, don't be in a hurry about anything. Squirrels notice the slightest movement and the slightest noise. Use cover to your advantage. It's easier hunting squirrels when the leaves are on than when they are off. Look INTO the trees not at them. Find a good place to sit or stand by a tree, don't move, listen, watch. You may be able to shoot your limit without ever moving. If you shoot a squirrel, mark where it fell and stay still for about 10 minutes to see if any others are around. After you stay in one place for about 30 minutes and see nothing, move very slowly to another place around 100 yds or so. As you move keep your ears open. Make sure your rifle is accurate and sighted in. You need to be able to hit a quarter at what ever distance your shooting.
Preserving a squirrel tail: You must remove the bone from the tail. Do this by splitting the hide down the tail at least half way, then you can start working the hide off the tail to where the split stops then you can crook your finger around the bone on one side and your thumb on the other side and slip the rest of the bone out of the tail. Then you can split the rest of the tail all the way to the end. Lay it on a flat surface and liberally salt the inside of the tail so it will dry. You can do the same thing with the hide if you want to. After it's dried I add a paste made from alum powder and a little water and let it dry. This will rough tan the hide.

Sarge has some good ideas but they are only applicable 2 weeks of the year. The rest of the year do this:

Take a jam box with you. Turn it up really loud. Rolling Stones is good but not nearly effective as Rap. Pink Floyd works well but only if you are highly intoxicated. Occasionally yell YEEEEEEHAAAAAH. This is highly effective singly or in groups. Eating Mexican before you go is ideal.....but only if it produces prodigious quantities of flatus. Dentonate M-80's on a regular basis and laugh uncontrollably after doing so.....success is gaurenteed. Fireworks are good too......especially whistlers and bottle rockets. IF....after all this, you still have no success........let me know.....I'll see what I can do.

·
Registered
251 Posts
If you took that last post seriously you are livin life way too tense because I laughed my ass off just postin it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
coyote killer,

Armed with the usefull squirrel huntin' tips that you have gleaned from this thread, there is no way you could fail.

Just load up your new squirrel huntin' dog and ride down some county roads while throwing m-80's out the windows. Squirrels will probably just give up and jump right in the car with you.

Henry t

·
Registered
251 Posts
SquirrelSniper said:
You's mo funny when Betty's around. :lol:

Thanks Pal!!!! Betty always did bring the.....errr.....ummm.....best out in me.

Some day I'll post my Three Stooge/Curly method of Squirrel hunting....Hyuk Hyuk. :lol: :shock: :shock:

G

·
Best dog Ive had for squirrels was a border collie, Ive got a jack russel at the moment and she runs a close second,best way to preserve a tail is to remove the bone when it is still on the squack and put it in a jar of meths, leave for a week and then shake dry. And my last bit of advice is have patience.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Taff said:
Best dog Ive had for squirrels was a border collie, Ive got a jack russel at the moment and she runs a close second,best way to preserve a tail is to remove the bone when it is still on the squack and put it in a jar of meths, leave for a week and then shake dry. And my last bit of advice is have patience.

What is meths????

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yesterday proved to me once again that my Knight & Hale Squirrel Call is worth its weight in gold.....Me and my girlfriend(shes a better hunter than I am) went squirrel hunting and I didnt see anything until I broke out the call....I wound up calling 3 in.....Michele didnt use a call and only saw one that never came out into shooting position.....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts