Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My and my dog Buddy have had a great May season so far.
We went this morning and had a lot of action.
One after the next and it was great.
I shot 3, that was all I needed.

Soil

Hope you guys are having good luck this year too.

We got up a little late and it was a little warm, so I worried
about snakes but so far he's avoided them.
Had one get bit a few years back and I hated it.
Hogs are out thick be he stays clear of them.
I keep me a couple slugs in my left pocket in case...

We was in some boggy pent-oak woods and the squirrels
was really moving.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
25,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dang, you can hunt squirrels in the spring?

Awesome. Only hunted them in the fall before. That was "back east."

Here in Washington State, despite a HUGE number of the danged things, there is no squirrel season. Sigh... My Marlin 39A is very miffed about that.

Guy

Yeah, May 1-31.
We have both kinds here, the grey and the reds.
I'd like to have a couple more dogs but
nobody raises them here.

·
Super Moderator
5,407 Posts
I think in Missouri squirrel season runs from may 26th clear on till middle of next February...plenty of season and plenty of squirrels out there
It’s been years since I’ve squirrel hunted. The next month will be crazy at work. After that I plan on hitting the woods. Glad MIssouri has such a long season.

·
Premium Member
25,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Opens May 15 here in Oklahoma, looking forward to taking the grandson and two Stephens Curs out. This is our longest running season.

Take pics, Man!

Nobody has Mountain Curr down here.
Honestly, hunting squirrels with a dog is out
of the norm in my part of Texas.
I only know a few other guys that do it and
we all run Terriers.

·
Premium Member
25,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You need to make a kids hunting book.
Subject Buddy the Wonder Pup.
I would buy a dozen as gifts.

LOL I used to draw alot and years ago I illustrated a childrens
book a lady I know wrote and got published.

But I tell you what, when you see your dog coming
with a squirrel in his mouth you shot, it's
a HOOT!

·
Premium Member
25,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That looks like a good time. I haven't hunted squirrels in years but always looked forward to spring for tree rats and turkeys.

A good time indeed! One squirrel after the next all morning.
Wish we had turkey. TP&W tried it but the 'yotes are just too
thick here.
I'd make a trip out to the hill country if I could drive.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Squirrel season here runs from May 15th to January 31 each year. Got about 26 more hours before I can get after them. My neighbor has 19 acres of native pecans and I have 4 pecan trees and two large Oak trees that produce heavy mast, so I really don't even have to leave my little 4 acre property to get all I want.

Last month I took the last 10 I had in the freezer, cut them up and pressure canned them. Now all I have to do is throw a jar full in the pot with the broth, add dumplings and I'm set. Use to hunt a lot of cottontails around her but the coyotes have pretty much destroyed them. Only see a few now and then.

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
Guy - no season for squirrel meaning they are not able to hunted at all?

Right - there's a small exception, relating to some non-native squirrels that were released years ago in a fairly confined area of the state.

Other than that, we are not able to hunt the native squirrel population. I suspect (but don't know) that it's due to some thought that the squirrels are important to the Pine Marten and the Fischer Cat predators, which are fairly rare here.

But, I dunno. I could be wrong. What I know, is that the squirrel is off limits to hunters here in Washington and has been for a long time.

We do have some great hunting opportunities here, but squirrel isn't one of them. Too bad. There's a mess of the rascals! My ol' Marlin and I would enjoy!

Regards, Guy

·
Premium Member
25,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Right - there's a small exception, relating to some non-native squirrels that were released years ago in a fairly confined area of the state.

Other than that, we are not able to hunt the native squirrel population. I suspect (but don't know) that it's due to some thought that the squirrels are important to the Pine Marten and the Fischer Cat predators, which are fairly rare here.

But, I dunno. I could be wrong. What I know, is that the squirrel is off limits to hunters here in Washington and has been for a long time.

We do have some great hunting opportunities here, but squirrel isn't one of them. Too bad. There's a mess of the rascals! My ol' Marlin and I would enjoy!

Regards, Guy

Dang.
I'd loose my blame mind.

·
Premium Member
25,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Boggles my mind, but I can hunt two species of elk and three species of deer as well as black bear, with over-the-counter tags, so I feel pretty good about that.

Guy

I hear you on that, Man.
We have no elk or bear down here.
Just the hogs, deer and squirrels.
Turkey south and west of here and
a few mule deer and antelope up north.
I'm covered up with the hogs.
I worry about them hurting my little
dog. You can't put your foot down where
I hunt that there's not droppings or a track.
But like I say, I carry me a slug or two
and a bowie knife.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.