Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 624 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a topic that has been a standard among squirrel hunters since Squacks started it on the old marlin board. A place to talk about squirrel hunting tactics and observations, squirrel hunting adventures, squirrel hunting rifles, ammo, etc.

After returning from the shawnee hunt, I went out one morning with that 17 aguila to give the Kansas squirrels an idea of what was to come as the season progresses. I got 5 that morning with the longest shot being approx 60 yds. The 17 aguila is a fine squirrel round, but it will be retired now untill late season when the leaves are all gone and the shots longer. I still think that nothing beats the 22lr for all round squirrel hunting. Since I'm working more than I used to, I don't have as much time to squirrel hunt and don't seem to have any more money. Something's terribly wrong.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Sarge,
I'm glad that you started this here.

I agree that the .22LR is the best all around squirrel round but it sure is fun experimenting. I enjoy seeing what I can do with a new rig, ammo, etc..

Did you build your .17 aquila or put a barrel on an existing rig? I'm really interested in that and the HM2. They both seem born to take squirrels.

Wannabe

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wannabe,
I bought a Savage MK II GLV in 17hm2 which will also shoot the 17 aguila. The GLV is left handed so I guess the right handed version would be the GV. Anyway, the 17 aguila is cheaper per box than the hm2. I recently tried the hm2 ammo and saw no increase in accuracy at all so I will probably stay with the 17 aguila because of the cost. The hm2 is a little faster round than the aguila (17gr bullet versus 20gr in aguila). The aguila performs great on squirrels. NottyBumpo was also shooting a 17 aguila at shawnee. His was a 10-22 with a green mountain 17 high standard barrel on it which also shoots the aguila round. He was having trouble with the rifle feeding properly. A rifle in 17hm2 is a good choice because you can shoot either 17 aguila or 17hm2. The rifle I have is from wal mart and the cost was $189.00. You might want to start putting your quarters in a empty fruit jar with the plan of getting a 17hm2. I think anschutz and cz have rifles out in 17hm2 also, but you'll need a bigger jar.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I didn't know that

Sarge,
Are you saying that the 17 aquila and 17hm2 are interchangable? I knew that knotty was hunting with one and having trouble feeding. I was there when he and Harvey were talking about it. I didn't even know the ammo was available yet, let alone that firearms were in stores allready.

The firearms world seems to pass me by during the kids baseball season. I'm still playing catch up.

I knew that you liked the Savage Lefty rimfires. I meant to talk to you about it at Shawnee because my daughter shoot lefty. Wasn't enough time.

Its funny that you mention saving quarters in a jar because I save my change in a zippered bag in the car. Today I went to check it and it was almost empty when I know that 2 days ago it was almost full. Somebody must have made a late night run to the convienience store.

Wannabe

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
My change jar was emptied to get me to Shawnee and back :D..

·
Registered
97 Posts
It could be me. Depending on who told you.

Why, am I alone?

Too much for squirrels and not enough challenge. Perfect for things that fly.

Wannabe

·
Registered
34 Posts
I thought that the .17 aquila as shorter then the mack2...am I wrong or is it not enough to really matter?

DoniphanRedneck

and where in the blueblasses do you find the aquila ammo?

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You can shoot 17 aguila in an hm2 but not the reverse. The hm2 is a CCI stinger necked down to 17 and the aguila is a regular LR necked down to 17. The cartridge case of the hm2 is a bit longer than the aguila but over all length of the loaded cartridges are the same. The ammo is readily available off the net. I think I ordered mine first from chestnut ridge supply and Doc brought me a brick to shawnee from his shop. I have a leupold 4.5x14 on it and sighted in initially at 30 yds and it was still on at 60. It's a good little cartridge and as I said with a rifle chambered for hm2 you have the option of shooting both the aguila and hm2. As for your daughter, depending how old she is, Savage has a youth model single shot in left hand or the regular MK II repeater in left hand. You might want to check out their site. The triggers need a little work to suit me but they are an accurate rifle.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
:( No squirrel in Washington to hunt.........that is, lots of squirrel, no season.....they're protected here :( I'd give up deer if there was a good long squirrel season. Back in Ohio an Indiana I could almost not buy meat from late Aug to Christmas. Your get together is on my list of things to do in the next 10 years.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Wannabe said:
It could be me. Depending on who told you.

Why, am I alone?

Too much for squirrels and not enough challenge. Perfect for things that fly.

Wannabe
It be you. I;ve used 12 ga's for squirrels before so I don't think 16 is "too" much for em. Dead is dead and if'n you can hit em with a freight train in the process all the better. LOL I's like ot get my hands on an old Remington Wingmaster in 16 ga for dove and wasckally wabbits.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You people are disgusting, hanging around reeking of shotgun powder. It's almost more than I can bear.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Sarge said:
You people are disgusting, hanging around reeking of shotgun powder. It's almost more than I can bear.
Someone has to do it Sarge, and I just dunno if you're up to the task anymore. :lol: I picjked up my wife's S&W 19 from the Fun SHop today....came bace from the factory. It has a 6" bbl, would that be more acceptable than a skattergun? 8)

·
Registered
888 Posts
See Sarge--It wasn't my fault I brought a 20ga last year to Shawnee--I am surrounded by bad influences. :wink: ROFLOL

·
Registered
97 Posts
SquirrelSniper,
16ga. is my favorite smoothbore. For many, many reasons. I too have my open for a pump. 870, m37, maybe both. 1100 might even be interesting. But there is nothing like a SxS.

I only use them for things that fly and mostly ringnecks.

I would like to try a 28ga. for grouse.

Ok, no more shotgun talk.

Wannabe

·
Registered
97 Posts
Sarge,
That is really cool! Makes me want one.

My daughter is 17 and has been doing fine with full size long guns. Even though she shoots left handed, she has been using my right handed .22s. I always feel kinda bad watching her shoot because she looks uncomfortable working the bolt on her left side.

I had read in the old Marlin thread where you were a fan of the Lefty Savage so I have had my eye out for one in .22 but don't seem to see them very often. The most popular on the shelves has been the .17HMR, heavy barrel, wood stock. Nice gun but too heavy for her. I'm sure if I keep looking I'll find one sooner or later.

Thanks for all the info.

Wannabe

1 - 20 of 624 Posts