Where are the Springfield 1911s made?

·
Super Moderator
5,142 Posts
Springfield Illinois I believe

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
I guess the answer is some are, some aren't. My frame was made in Brazil. I believe all their 1911s are assembled in Geneseo, IL

Copied from the 1911 Forum, AJM03895, author.

When I do research here online to find out if springfield 1911s are all made in brazil, I get different answers all the time from folks here. So I decided to call Springfield Armory (Twice. just to make sure) earlier today, and both representative I talked to said that NOT all SA 1911s are made or manufactured in Brazil. and told me that Serial number prefix I.e . NM or N etc.. doesn't mean anything. If the 1911 have a 'Made in Brazil' sign by the serial number it means it is made in brazil. If a 1911 have Genesio IL USA on the side of the frame by the serial number and have a 'Imbel' sign under the dust cover and/or by the right side grip of the gun, It means 51% or more parts of the gun are made in brazil and assembled here in the US of A. If it only said Genesio IL and no marking of 'Imbel' anywhere on the frame, it means that it is made and assembled here by SA custom shop. small parts are ordered from different places. barrel are by storm lake.
I just thought I'd share with you guys especially for the guys who still unsure where their SA 1911s are made from.

·
Super Moderator
5,142 Posts
springfield is a manufacturer as well as an importer.

Reactions: 1022

·
Premium Member
3,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks I thought most were made in Brazil...

·
Premium Member
7,659 Posts
I remember Springfield Armory when it was A little block building in Genneseo. Making rifles out of surplus parts.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Just like my Taraus. Made in Brazil. Assembled in there us plant.

·
Premium Member
18,035 Posts
the one on my side has made in Croatia on it
would like to add it not in 1911 but there XDs
All XD's have been made in Croatia since Springfield Armory first started importing them a dozen years ago.

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Springfield 1911s are no longer made in South America. They're all made in Illinois nowadays.
I can't find any evidence to support that. The best I can find is some are made in the USA from IMBEL forgings, many parts made in Brazil and assembled in USA.

Do you have a source for the information?

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I can't find any evidence to support that. The best I can find is some are made in the USA from IMBEL forgings, many parts made in Brazil and assembled in USA.

Do you have a source for the information?
XD talk, and I asked my LGS about it. He said that he hasn't heard anything from Springfield , or seen a So. American framed gun in about a year, and he sells plenty. He orders them in all price ranges for his business, and the cheaper versions are coming with the Illinois frames, as opposed to the So. American frames, that came in the past.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts