Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yeah I dont know. After I saw that article I have been wanting to try one on a 1895G and on my Win 94 trapper. I think I am going to order one and find out if I can make it fit.

Good luck.

Greebe

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm just curious. What's the advantage of the '03 sight other than price?

Why not install an aftermarket sight from Lyman or Williams? The Williams rear sights, for example, are made to fit the receiver, have windage and elevation adjustments, and have interchangeable apertures. They even offer a 'target knob' model with knobs for both elevation and windage adjustment.

Jim H

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
eisenmetzger said:
I'm just curious. What's the advantage of the '03 sight other than price?

Why not install an aftermarket sight from Lyman or Williams? The Williams rear sights, for example, are made to fit the receiver, have windage and elevation adjustments, and have interchangeable apertures. They even offer a 'target knob' model with knobs for both elevation and windage adjustment.

Jim H
Neither Williams nor Lyman make a receiver sight that will fit a new production 1894. The Williams sights that attach to the rear scope holes are made to fit the 336. They hang off the back of an 1894. The Lyman is made to attach to the left receiver flat, and new production rifles are not factory drilled on the left flat.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does anyone know whether Williams is redesigning their sight for the newer Marlins? I would think they have heard enough complaints. I do have a Williams sight on my older model Guide Gun and it is perfect. I don't particularly want a sight though that overhangs the receiver.

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts
Simple to overcome the sight overhang, but it does involve a new hole in the receiver. Just use a one piece weaver style base and mount in the rearward holes of the base, locate the new hole in the forward screw hole in the rear of the base. Drill and tap mount the sight. The lyman side mount comes with instructions to mount the sight on the side of a non drilled and tapped rifle.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What do you mean concerning the Lyman sight? Does the side mount somehow attach to the receiver top? If so, then can you attach the sight to the side mount? Do you need a new front sight with this system? Does the Lyman sight come with easily adjustable knobs?

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
swany said:
Simple to overcome the sight overhang, but it does involve a new hole in the receiver. Just use a one piece weaver style base and mount in the rearward holes of the base, locate the new hole in the forward screw hole in the rear of the base. Drill and tap mount the sight. The lyman side mount comes with instructions to mount the sight on the side of a non drilled and tapped rifle.
I did just that to install a WGRS on my 1894C. I've posted a picture of it here several times. My intent in posting was to point out that neither Lyman nor Williams makes a no gunsmithing required receiver sight.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Finnwolf said:
What do you mean concerning the Lyman sight? Does the side mount somehow attach to the receiver top? If so, then can you attach the sight to the side mount? Do you need a new front sight with this system? Does the Lyman sight come with easily adjustable knobs?
The Lyman sight comes with instructions for locating the sight and drilling the left receiver flat. It does not mount in the factory holes. I would like to see Williams and/or Lyman make a sight to fit, but since receiver sights are not legal for the Cowboy games, I doubt it will happen. It'd be great if I were wrong though...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts