Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got the old 1895G sighted in with 400gr hawks (.035) pushed to 1850fps under a charge of H322. I was going to go with the Nosler Partition but changed my mind at the last minute, I'm sure either load would be devastating on any bear but I'll save the Noslers for another hunt. Spring bear season is tomorrow and I can't wait. Theres still a ton of snow in the back country but in lower elevations its not bad. The month of May will be much better for getting around but I'll still be out and about. Need some more hamburger and pepperoni! Good luck to everyone else, anyone have their own bear stories or loads they want to share?

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
Good luck Seabass!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Good luck on your bear hunt. Wish we had a spring season but here in TN we have to wait until September.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yah best of luck seabass. I'm in the same situation rhendrix no bear season until september, no rifles of any kind in the woods until sept. shotguns only! and the only thing we can hunt all year round is coyotes. But I do have tmw off for the first day of fishing season! woohoo!

·
Registered
912 Posts
good luck seabass!!....yep, as you know we had all that snow this year, and i bet we wont be going for blacky until end of may/june!....i finally bought a quad last year, so will have some fun checking out all those cuts this spring!....thought i would post this guy i shot a few years back..dont know if i posted it or not?....i was by myself, so i had him cut up and peices so i could get him in the truck!! :p....yep, same as you --- smokies amd pepperonis!.

..larry

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
I'm jealous! Nothing I like better than bear hunting, but I have the same problem many of the others have....no spring season here in Michigan. Our bear season also opens in September, so until then, I can only dream.

Roe

·
Registered
23 Posts
Good luck Seabass. I'm heading up to New Brunswick in mid-May to try to score on a nice blackie. Counting the days.

·
Premium Member
11,962 Posts
Best of luck Seabass!

I didn't put in for a spring tag this year... Should have...

Guy

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Seabass

Best of luck to you.
Looking forward to your story and pictures.

JD338

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
Seabass Oregon starts tomorrow to and my unused gg is in competition with my wea.7mm.Last year the 7mm got 250lb boar @ 200 yds.
My gg has issues as I packed it for days looking for a mule deer and it got beat out by the 7mm again. It's a bummer to shoot a deer with a 7mm mag at 35yds. ;D

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
Well Seabass wheres the bear. been kinda cold in Oregon but I'm looking. How about a 250lb cougar I can't emagine what he ate to get that big so I think the shooter near me was full of bull.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Good Luck Seabass! No bear around here, plenty of beer hunting though!

·
Registered
160 Posts
I didn't buy a SW OR spring bear tag this year, but got a nice one last year, using 35 whelen. Plan to use my guide gun for fall bear this year.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
supertodd said:
I didn't buy a SW OR spring bear tag this year, but got a nice one last year, using 35 whelen. Plan to use my guide gun for fall bear this year.
Nice bear and rifle.... Rem. 760? I got a Rem. 700 CDL .35 Whelen....... Awesome caliber!!

·
Registered
160 Posts
my spring bear hunting story

It was a fun hunt, I know a ridge that bears always cross over going from one valley to another, I spent alot of time watchin that trail. First day of the season a smallish black phase came in, passed because of size and never had a shot, then twice I spotted the cinnamon bear, First time I was half asleep and it was almost dark and a small noise caught my attention and saw a rump disappear in the brush. The next time I saw it same thing, except got the feeling I was being watched looked to my side to see the bear about 30 yards away standing upright watching me, as I moved to get the rem 760 35 whelen to my shoulder the bear dropped down and was gone. The last day of the season I got off work at 1pm and went and sat on my lucky bear trail. I was watching 5 or six Blacktail does feeding around 4pm, when they all stuck their ears up looked the same way down the trail and took off. I was ready this time. A 250 grn partition through the shoulder at 25 yrds and the bear didn't move a foot. I waited about 5 minutes to make sure it was dead. I got up on it and it lifted its head, 3 rounds from my blackhawk 45 long colt loaded with 290 grn cast bullets got fired into it. Found 2 of the bullets lodges against the hide on the opposite side, third went through the neck.(Fast draws would have been proud how fast I got those shots off)

The bear skinned, gutted, without its head and half of one of its fronts shoulder from bloodshot meat, I trimmed off- it weighed 187 pounds, I figure live weight would have been in the 300 lb range

I had the hide tanned and thinkin of having a rug made of it.

Last year(fall hunt) took my friend to this spot he got a small 150-190 lb blackbear took three weeks before we saw that first bear, his wife thought it sounded fun so we took her and the first half an hour she got a dark brown bear about the same size- boy she was proud. all three bears were boars.

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
Awesome write up!! Thanks for sharing!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts