Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys, I finally took the plunge. I bought a Leupold Gold Ring Compact 15-30x50. Now, those of you who have and use spotters what would you recommend for a tripod or other accessories for hunting or just general usage around the house..
Since I live in the big north woods, I know I'll be playing around with it looking at different critters but when hunting season comes around I'l get more serious with it.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Nice buy. I got tired of looking through a crappy scope so dug deep in the pocket and went for a 12-40 x 60HD. Don't know why I waited so long.
As for tripod, I use my Manfrotto which dual purposes as my camera 'pod. Got it quite a while ago, probably cost a couple hundred, but its first and primary purpose was photography. If I want to travel a bit lighter I take a monopod, also a Manfrotto.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for filling me in on what works for you. I've been looking on line and there's such a variety to choose from it's stifing. I don't want something that I'd nee a pack train to transport for me. LOL

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
I’m away from the homestead, so I can’t supply the model, but it’s a Vanguard tripod which doubles as a car window mount. I have a similar variable powered spotting scope, a 50mm manufactured by Opticron.

That particular tripod is very useful when spotting from a vehicle and from a regular size kitchen table. It’s too tall for use from a shooting table when you’re sitting down. For a shooting table tripod I have a much smaller, lighter and shorter tripod and it also works very well when traveling, as it’s very compact and sets up on various supports.

The cost for both tripods was less than $100, but that was about 5 years ago.

If interested you can PM me in a couple of weeks and I’ll supply the model numbers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.