Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out running some errands today and happened to pass a local shop that I hadn't been in for some time, so I dropped in just to see what they had. Sitting on the used shelf was a M1 22LR. The gun is in pretty nice shape, really nice bore/rifling, decent blueing, gold finish on trigger a little thin, even has the original rear sight (!). Now the bad news... the stock is cracked just behind the receiver/trigger guard. I was surprised since otherwise the stock was even in very nice condition, not dinged or dented even. I really wasn't looking for one actively but I have thought that I wouldn't mind having one as a mate for my 989M2. Anyway, they offered it to me for $125. I'm pretty sure that I can repair the stock as the crack isn't missing any wood and once refinished it wouldn't be visible. I wouldn't be worried about resale as I wouldn't be selling it anyway. I figured a new recoil spring and buffer, a good cleaning/lube, and repair/refinish the stock and I'd have a nice plinker for not a whole lot of money. What would you guys think it might be worth paying for it? I paid more than that for my M2, a good bit more, but it was really in excellent condition so I'm not sure what would be a good price for this gun. Any input/opinions welcome. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I'd grab it at that price. You're right, the stock should be an easy fix.

Reactions: 57 Texan

·
Registered
513 Posts
For that price I'd probably go ahead with it. Put a new stock on it and call it good.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Don't see how you could go wrong for that price .
I would offer $100.00 first just to put a line in the water ..................

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For that price I'd probably go ahead with it. Put a new stock on it and call it good.
That's pretty much what I was thinking if the repair/refinish didn't meet my expectations. I just checked Numrich's and it looks like they've got new stocks available for $64.00. I wonder if these are factory walnut stocks, or if they're some repro/aftermarket ones, and whether they're correct walnut. Either way, I can't see how I could really do that bad on it for the price.

'

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Howdy...You mentioned changing out the recoil spring and buffer. Are these a week point on these rifles? I have a 1971 model 99M1 so I was wondering what to look for.

·
Super Moderator
5,162 Posts
Hey there Dan, not sure if you have ever torn your rifle down or not.
the recoil spring is the long skinny spring with guide rod located at the rear of the bolt.One end goes into the rear of the bolt assembly and the other pins into the aluminum receiver housig.
The buffer. is the white plastic(Teflon) suare piece that sits in the rear of the trigger assembly.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I'd pull the trigger at that price.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I would likely buy it for that price. Heck the stupid rear sight alone would sell for over half the purchase price. And you likely could talk em down a little too. I would look on Gunbroker or maybe Ebay for a replacement stock. I assume the Hand guard is OK?

Heck I paid 120.00, no tax, for a nice one, but it had no rear sight..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts