Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a spikehorn that I'm thinking about using to hunt hogs in creek bottoms due to its size and weight. I also have a .35rem that I could have cut down to 18" to make it more carry friendly. Would there be enough differance between the two performance wise, or would it be a prefernce thing?

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
I assume the creek bottom environment will yield pretty short range shooting opportunities. If you shoot the Spikehorn really well, then the performance difference between it and a chopped 35 Rem is probably negligible.

BUT if you just want to tweek the 35 Rem by shortening the barrel, then hog hunting in creek bottoms is as good a reason as any. You could hunt hogs with first one, then the other and come back on this forum and tell us what you found out about the difference in performance. :wink:

·
Registered
97 Posts
What would be a rough estimate to have have a 336CS cut & crowned to the 336D specs? I have been wanting a D for a long time, not the hang on the wall but to hunt whitetails here in the Adirondacks with and they are few and far between (the 336D that is) I am thinking now that it would be cheaper to buy a good used 336 and have it chopped down.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Cut and crown should be very inexspensive. I think mine (took the ports off my 450 GG) was $60 or less. Had other work done at the same time is why I am not absolutely sure. If you are handy there is a post on redoing a crown in reference materials.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts