Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, it is a SWEET 336A 30-30. Made in 1976, gold trigger. It's got a Weaver base and steel Weaver one inch rings on it. Not a scratch that I could see. The walnut needs some TLC, not gouged or scratched but the finish is worn. I'm thinking, 24" barreled 30-30 Ackley! I'll post up some pics to this thread whenever I get her off LayAway! YeeHaah!!!!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Well! What you always wanted - a project rifle!

Good luck with it! :p

·
Registered
137 Posts
35hunter, I also have a '76 model 336A that I inherited from my brother and you're right, they are sweet rifles. I was a confirmed bolt gun man until I started using mine for sentimental reasons. Now I own two other Marlins, a.35 Rem and a .45-70, and hardly hunt with my bolt actions anymore. Hope you enjoy yours.

·
Registered
137 Posts
35hunter, I also have a '76 model 336A that I inherited from my brother and you're right, they are sweet rifles. I was a confirmed bolt gun man until I started using mine for sentimental reasons. Now I own two other Marlins, a.35 Rem and a .45-70, and hardly hunt with my bolt actions anymore. Hope you enjoy yours.

G

·
Nice find 35Hunter. I also found my next purchase, a 1970 336 in 35 Rem with some nicely figured wood with no dings in it. It will make a good stable mate to my 1966 336RC in 30-30.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Sorry for my double post above. It was due to a member malfunction (I ain't the sharpest tack in the box). Regards to all.

·
Registered
356 Posts
lossking - better to say something interesting twice, than not at all!!

·
Registered
697 Posts
Just missed a .375s on gunsamerica for $300. Guess I,ll have to keep looking. Still need several other models also. Good hunting, Rick

·
Registered
356 Posts
Leverpuller said:
Been looking for a reasonable .32 special. The .375 has made a big jump on my list ,too.
I have thought in the past that it would be pretty cool to find a really worn out 336 .30-30 and replace the barrel with a .32 WS.

But I guess with a good barrel already, itmakes more sense to rechamber to AI - I hate making sense.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One of my "someday" projects is to rebarrel a 336 to .327 Marlin. That's my wildcat necked down .356 Win to .32 cal. Might be able to make a reamer from a modified .356 caliber one.

That would be a fun cartridge.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
If you find a .35 in the same mod, please let me know. By the way 35hunter, why don't you post a pic of your find? Be sure to include that hunter orange John Deere cap that has become your trade mark. It makes you look like Harrison Ford, you know.

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Hello Riflemen: 35hunter, like Sidespin says, post a picture and also include the name and address of the seller :twisted: Seriously though, it sounds like a great find. With a 24" barrel and the Ackley chamber I am somewhat jealous. Layaways can be a wonderful way to purchase a gun. Often it is the only way I can afford a gun I really want as I don't always have the money up front. Good luck and let us know how it shoots. BestLever

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh, it's not an ackley yet. It's very un-messed with. I do think at some point I will have it ackley'ed. That should be a fine 24" barreled 30-30. Should be real close to my .308 carbine remington pump. Thinking about it a 30-30 ackley should really be an ideal rifle for most deer hunting.

I have searched all 'round the net looking for blaze orange John Deere ball caps for all of you, but haven't found any that look good to me. (I need a new one for myself as well.)

Yes, many of my gun purchases have been off lay-aways. A couple of my favorite dealers just let me pay on it till its paid for. It's nice to spy out that special rifle and have the dealer put it back for you until the money is right. Sort of prolongs the joy.

When I get the rifle I'll post up some pics for all you guys. Should be pretty soon. I've been going through the gun box and selling off my junkers/projects/impulse buys. Anybody run up on a nice G.I. M-1 carbine at a good price let me know, ok? Those things are getting scandalously high.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts