Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If everything plays out like it should, I'll have a MI bear tag this year.

Planning on using my 45-70. Hunt will be over bait with shots inside 50 yds.

Based on what the all knowing internet says, the 300gr Speer Unicor looks like a good choice.

Yes? No?

Reactions: M700

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
For hunting bear here in Michigan under the conditions you describe, you would be hard pressed to find an ineffective bullet for the .45-70. That old cartridge in a Marlin lever-gun, with a low power scope with good twilight performance, must be considered one of the very best choices of the many available.

The only bear I've harvested with the .45-70, fell to a handloaded Remington 405 gr soft point at 1600 fps. It did the job without fanfair. I just recovered a section of the 10" diameter spruce a buddy centerpunched when his rushed shot missed a bear a couple of years ago. As expected, it shows full penetration with a sizeable exit.

Once I'm done with it, it should make a nice table lamp for him to remember the hunt by. :biggrin:

Roe

·
Registered
50 Posts
We are going back to WV this September for 3 day rifle hunt. WV is a no bait state for bear. We basically just hunt water holes or other travel areas. Terrain is steep and shots are inside 70 yards mostly. I have a new 1895 45-70 with a Nikon 2-7x32mm scope in a DNZ medium mount. I've been looking for factory ammo in the 300gr region for black bear and deer in Ohio. I'm indecisive. hahaha

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
Funny as I just finished loading some uni cor that I purchased from a fellow MO. I haven't used any before but I'm sure they'll take anything at 50yrds. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402540772.115723.jpg

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
The Speer 300 should hold together better than other 300 jacketed bullets. I used to shoot the Remington 300 JHP in top end reloads but if I hit shoulder in a der, it opens up and comes apart. I went to the Speer and found it shoots as well as the Remingtons but I did not get to test it on deer. Ended up using factory Hornady 350 JFP in the 450 Marlin.

If you are looking for a sturdier bullet, you might want to look at the Hornady 350 JFP. It was designed for higher velocities associated with factory 450 Marlin loads.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Hope you get your permit!! Never can tell in this state!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Especially this situation.

I'm sacrificing my 7 pts to hunt the second hunt with my dad and uncle. Be worth it though to see them get their first bears.....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ordered two boxes from Midway this morning.

Now to find some load data......

·
Registered
670 Posts
Works great and holds together in the classic mushroom. Hit a large doe in the ham at 140 yards broke her rear leg bone and found the bullet in her neck. It was loaded to around 2000 fps over reloader 7. I have shoot other deer and never have been disappointed but the above is the only bullet recovered.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts