Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Anyone use Speer in their 444?

Im thinking about making these my go to bullets. I am going to start loading very soon. I also have to come up with a load so I can get the custom turret made for my Leupold scope.

I was orginally thinking about the Swift 280gr A-Frame but then I found the Speer 270's and picked up a few boxs. What do you guy's think?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
I would say one of the better mid-weight bullets in a 444. If your shots, when hunting, are regularly under 50 yards, you might want to keep velocity around or under 2000 fps for ideal close range terminal performance. If you shoot past 50 yards normally, you'll be good if you want to load that one to max. I found 46gr of H4198 would group 3 shots under 1 inch at 100 yards. It chronied 2226 fps from 22" barrel with chrony 15 feet from muzzle.
On a side note, I was saddened to hear from Speer that they discontinued their 300gr Unicor bullet. That was one of the best bullets in the 444, but the herd has been led to 45 caliber pastures these days leaving 44 caliber somewhat forgotten and neglected. boo hoo

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
See https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/ammunition-test-results/485545-444-44mag-bullet-tests.html

The bullet is tested here in a realistic test medium. The 270 gr Speer is top performer, and for the cost a solid choice. The Swift 240 gr A Frame out performs it, as it did all other bullets tested. Would think the heavier Swift 280 gr would go deeper than the 240 gr with a reduce wound volume due to reduced velocity, did not test the 280 gr, but personally would prefer to retain the higher muzzle velocity of the 240 gr in this bullet style. If you are the type of person who likes to eat right to the bullet hole, the 240 Swift is not for you, it hits hard, does a lot of damage, penetrates thru, and drops them in their tracks.

·
Super Moderator
7,932 Posts
Swift has always been a Premium bullet in the 444, never tested the 270gr Deep Curl, lots and lots of history with the 270gr Gold Dot. The gold dot has taken many deer for us, hard hitting, and accurate at around 2200fps out of a 1-38MG. I think the difference in the bullets is, one is a cup and core [gold dot] the deep curl is a plated bullet, I think. If they are a plated bullet, Speer charges to much!
Swifts are very expensive, but I believe the 280gr is the very best jacketed bullet out there for the 444, not to light, not to heavy a little much for smaller deer, but anything bigger it will take easy, and perform beautifully! I stock piled the 280 and 300grs years ago along with some Speer 270 and 300gr.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I been shooting the 270g Speer DC at 2000fps. with excellent accuracy and knock down punch, out of my T/C Encore. Side note, the Hornady 300g XTP's at 1800fps. are also very accurate out of my T/C and Marlin (1-20 ROT).

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guy's. I want to use the gun on a fall bear hunt so I'll use the Speer to get on paper. I just ordered a box of the 280's to work up an actual hunting load and have my turret made for the 280's for now. If I want to get other turrets made for other loads I can for $80.00

·
Registered
305 Posts
I would say one of the better mid-weight bullets in a 444. If your shots, when hunting, are regularly under 50 yards, you might want to keep velocity around or under 2000 fps for ideal close range terminal performance. If you shoot past 50 yards normally, you'll be good if you want to load that one to max. I found 46gr of H4198 would group 3 shots under 1 inch at 100 yards. It chronied 2226 fps from 22" barrel with chrony 15 feet from muzzle.
On a side note, I was saddened to hear from Speer that they discontinued their 300gr Unicor bullet. That was one of the best bullets in the 444, but the herd has been led to 45 caliber pastures these days leaving 44 caliber somewhat forgotten and neglected. boo hoo
Losing that Speer 300 gr uni-cor is, indeed, a real loss. I am sad to hear it.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I stocked up on them when I heard others on here speak very highly of them. I have loaded a few for the .444 and they have plenty good accuracy. As far as performance on game.. I use them exclusively in my muzzle loader (green .44cal sabots) and I have taken one doe so far. Looked like a bucking bronco and went 15yards. Nice hole in and out without much meat damage. 20 yd shot broadside.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My 444 loves the 270gr Deep Curl.

This past Friday...7 shots at 100yds, the flyer was the last round and due to my shoulder getting a tad sore.:biggrin:

Also they absolutely hammer deer and hogs.

444.jpg

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Please do tell us how that 280 Swift does on game, never used or tested that one, but ought to be very effective.

·
Registered
565 Posts
All I ever used in my 444 is the Hornady 265 gr. flat point, but given their proclivity to discontinue anything useful I expect to use the Speer as a replacement.

·
Super Moderator
7,932 Posts
Please do tell us how that 280 Swift does on game, never used or tested that one, but ought to be very effective.
Never had the a opportunity to hunt with this bullet, tested it, worked great in the test, built just like the Nosler Partition. The middle bullet is the 300gr, Swift.

Attachments

·
Registered
239 Posts
Bought 2 boxed of them 7 or 8 years ago - they were great - only problem is I cannot find them stocked in any of my LGS's. I thought they had discontinued this line - is this not the case?

·
Registered
700 Posts
Go for it man, best bullets that imho rival the hornady 265s. I had great success with H322 and H4198 powders when I took my pet loads to the range. I've thought about trying out Everglades 240gr JSP in the near future...

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I load this bullet with a Harvester sabot for use in my CVA Optima muzzle-loader rifle. This 270 grain soft tip always produces a ghastly wound channel and exits the animal, never to be seen again. Accuracy is quite good with 110 grains of Triple 7 powder.

TR

1 - 16 of 16 Posts