Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In another thread I have posted about how much fun my 1980 model 1894C with a Skinner peep sight is to shoot. However, it has been a little hard to find a load that it really likes. I had settled on a Speer semi-jacketed soft point, Uni-Cor #4217 to be exact, over 14.5 grains of 2400. I bought the bullets at a Gander Mountain retail store, but now I am out of them and nobody seems to have any in stock. Can anybody suggest another bullet that may be equivalent to that one?

·
Registered
445 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, w5. I would order that bullet, but Midway is out of stock. There may be somebody else who has them. I'll look and see.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Speaking of Speer, where are all those 30-30 deep cruels? I think it was a mistake to get rid of the Hot Cores. :mad:

Lord help me find some.

·
Premium Member
3,477 Posts
blue today said:
Speaking of Speer, where are all those 30-30 deep cruels? I think it was a mistake to get rid of the Hot Cores. :mad:

Lord help me find some.
I've not seen any on anyone's shelves... :mad: I'm down to my last 80 or so Silvertips and when those are gone, I'll need something.

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
blue today said:

Lord help me find some.
Yeah, the bastids stopped my favorite 150g fp model 2011 and I emailed them and said "what the hell?"

They said "we replaced that with the "new and improved" 150g Deepcurl"

Well, where are they? Now I'm mad at both Hornady and Speer, and don't have any of my favorite bullets to load...

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
How long has it been since the Deep Curl was suppose to come out? Seems like it has been a year and a half and I haven’t seen any yet.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Charlie98 said:
They are expected back in stock next week... ;D
If it's Midway, then take that "back-in-stock" date with a grain of salt. I ordered a buttstock for my 1895SS back in Nov; they said it'd be back in stock at the end of January. Feb rolled in - no stock. Emailed 'em again; they said April. I finally told 'em to cancel, and just ordered it from Numrich - THEY have it in stock. Should be here in a day or two.

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
Blue today that is what I do and casting my own is a lot cheaper and more fun and a lot more shooting.

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
Did some reading up on the Deep Curl bullets from Speer and they are actually the Fusion bullet loaded by Federal. Since Speer and Federal are
under the "same" corporate wing it makes sense. Speer is busy supplying the needs of Federal with their Fusion line. I was at three gun shops yesterday and not a Deep Curl bullet to be had at any of them. Also read where Speer's machining was pretty well worn out and would cost too
much to upgrade the "Hot Core" line so they developed the Fusion bullet. The Fusion bullet is electro-chemilcally bonded so ought to be a pretty
good substitute for the Hot Core line. Killed a lot of deer with Hot Core bullets. Always felt they were one of hardest cup and core bullets out there but they always killed deer nicely. Won't use the Hot Core in my 30-30's for deer but have used the flat nosed 170gr Hot Core's in my .308's and they worked really well. It seems no matter what I try, I keep going back to using the RP Core-lokts. No matter what caliber or design (round nosed or pointed), the Core-Lokts just do a great job for me.
358 Win

1 - 13 of 13 Posts