Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my 1895 45-70 on Saturday and getting my reloading supplies together.Was thinking about the Speer 400gr but all supplies sold out and backordered.Local older gun shop had 2 boxes (50/2) at $29 each.My concern was could I get more.I called Speer only to find out that they discontinued that bullet.
Guy I know had 250 cast 405gr for $50 so I grabbed them.

·
Super Moderator
17,802 Posts
Dangit... I like that bullet... I'm down to my last box and was going to look for more tonight... If I find any I'll let you know...

·
Registered
985 Posts
They may not fit into the classic 45-70 narrative but for hunting, I really like the 350 gr.-ers. The Speer Hot Core 350 gr. is my go-to for big game. The Hornady Interlock RN and FP are also very good.

Tim

·
Premium Member
8,044 Posts
yup for a few years I bought all the speer 400gr boxes I could find. I have a good stock of those and the remmy I found a while back and use them primarily for my hunting rounds. It is a shame they are not going to make them but lots of other options out there.

·
Super Moderator
26,112 Posts
I guess I am going to have to buy some more 400 gr Speers before they disappear. I think I have two boxes left.

Reactions: mrguvna

·
Super Moderator
26,112 Posts
Only takes a second to post a link....:)
No outside sales links are allowed on MO. The OP posted the company which should provide a clue.............

Reactions: packard

·
Super Moderator
26,112 Posts
hey Jay that store in Elmont usually has a few boxes......or maybe I bought them last trip..............
None of the stores around my area have them the last time I checked. The 400 gr Speers shoot great out of my 22 inch 1895.

·
Banned
619 Posts
I hate having to develope a new load because a bullet was discontinued. Sounds like Speer is going down the Hornady road. I haven't loaded .45-70 in a year or two trying to get this bullet. Maybe I'll try the Hornady 350 gr. FN till that gets discontinued.

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
Dang it - of the jacketed bullets I've used (Sierra 300-grain HP, Hornady 350-grain JFP, and the 400-grain Barnes Original), the Speer 400-grainer is the most accurate (1.5" groups @ 100 yards) in my particular 22"-barreled Marlin. When my Speers run out I'll shoot the Cast Performance 405 grain with gas check. It also shoots 1.5" groups in my rifle.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I understand the reasoning for not continuing that bullet. Every time they make more, they are instantly sold, and no one can keep them in stock. That is why they gave up on them.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I have shot many, many different bullets in my 1895. By far, the Speer 400gr JSP is one of my favorites. It is my preferred bullet for hunting black bears. I don't doubt that they have been discontinued because virtually no one has them available.

I've probably got a box and a half left. I guess I'll be looking for something similar soon. I've been trying to get Nosler to introduce a 425gr Partition bullet. Chances seem to be from "slim" to "none" of that happening any time soon. LOL

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.