Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every once in a while you find a bargain that bites. Bought a never been opened box of Speer 350 .458 flat nose-soft pt. Went to load some test loads.pushed the 1st on in to the candler and checked OAL 1/10 over so I put it in the gun to see if it would cycle . Nope but it did chamber.
Now I'm wondering anyone buy any of these and maybe It's time to use those leverlotion (short cases) apparently I will
have a little jump to the lands.
appreciate your thoughts and I already sent a message to Speer.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Just purchase a Lee Factory Crimp die, seat as needed and crimp. With the Lee FCD, we don't need no stinkin' cannelure.... ;D

·
Registered
539 Posts
Buffalo Bore uses the speer 350 grain bullet in one of its 45-70 loads. Tim Sundles, the owner, talked about the cartridge he developed on the Alaskan Outdoor Forum. He says they use a compressed load in order to keep the bullets in the magazine from receding into their brass cases during the heavy recoil of his magnum loads. You can find his discussion in the Alaskian shooting section of the forum.

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Findrichard I will look that site up.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Are these the 'Hot Cor' 350 gr bullets?????

If so, I bought a box to try. Haven't opened the box, though.

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
byf43
Yep thems the hot cor.

·
Registered
367 Posts
me said:
byf43
Yep thems the hot cor.

:eek:

Well, I suppose I should make sure that the brass is trimmed to the 'trim to' length and try a 'dummy' before I load up a bunch.

Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The crimp cannelure to nose length is too long to function in a 45/70 or 450 Marlin seated at the cannelure with a case length of 2.100".

You could trim the case further back to use the 350 Hot-cor's, but you'd have to put on a helluva crimp.

The Speer 350 Hot-Cor was designed for use in the 458 Winchester

This pdf is about the 450 Marlin, but since the case length and the overall length is the same as the 45/70 the paragraphs at the top would still apply. NOT THE DATA!

http://www.speer-bullets.com/pdf/ReloadingSupplementalDATA/450MARLN.PDF

l8r,
Michael :)

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mikef64
That is kinda what I was thinking as long as I have leverlotion brass I may as well use it on them.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Speer says the 350 gr. is too long, and the bullet will not expand sufficiently at 45-70 speeds.

·
Registered
54 Posts
dogjaw said:
Speer says the 350 gr. is too long, and the bullet will not expand sufficiently at 45-70 speeds.
I tend to load 400 or heavier in my .45/70's. Never the less Speer has an excellent reputation as to knowing what they are doing when making bullets, I'd take their word for it.........

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I been waiting on a e mail from Speer since the 17th. But the price was right and these will be for plinking. A gun just ain't fun unless it can throw lead :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hej Alla!

Sorry for the late reply... but I must say that the
350 Speer (Hot Cor) with the Lee Factory Crimp is
my absolute favorite moose hunting round!!! It has
quite good accuracy and very consistent muzzle
velocity according to my equipment. If you handload
you can get the velocity up over factory ammo, and
expansion will not be any problem!

Use it! Love it! Then have a moose meat barbeque!!!

jpl

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
JPL thanks for the reply :) That was a while getting back did you need to get a faster server ;D ;D ;D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts