Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Speer 300 UC and H322 = Sheboygin!

2K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  beretzs 
#1 ·
Finally got out to the range this afternoon. Was still searching for a good 300gr Speer load. H4198 & R7 weren't cutting it in this rifle. Thought I would try H322, WW cases, BR2 primers. Book max is 63gr. I only had time ( Lee Kay range works 'Banker's Hrs, close @ 4PM) to use the 50yd range. I took my shorty, MG bbl 1895, which I just had a new front bead put on, along with a Limbsaver pad, Happy trigger and an 8" Mercury Recoil Reducer put in the butt.
I zeroed my peep at 25yds with my Hornady 350RN (1980fps) to hit "center" of my bead, then moved the target to 50yds. Using a six oclock hold on about a 4" square, I was hitting about 2" left and 1.5 to 2" high. First 2 shots of 61gr H322 went in same hole, third dropped down a inch. I moved the FP peep over 12 clicks to the right. My next load of 62 grains H322 all made a nice cloverleaf .58" group, almost center & 1.5" high over top of bead. Sweet. I will try 63gr later. Recoil was, well, let's just say the recoil reducer was just a good "idea", ha, it didn't help at all! It may make a diff shooting in the field. I had to really hunker down, hold my mouth right and trust the planets to align properly to get a good group, whew! But it isn't a plinker anyhow. Had no time to chrono, that will come next when I finesse my zero at 100yds.
Now, I also tried just 3 rds of the Hornady 265FTX factory load out of my 444P. It was zeroed last time with the Speer .429 300 UC spot on at 100yds. At fifty, I was centered, about 3" high and went into .71" average. It will work out real nice for longer range deer,etc. I am leaving my 300 Speers set dead on at 100, will check how high the 265 hits there and determine exact zero from there. 95 degrees out here today, whew!

See less See more
#2 ·
Good shootin...

About that "hunkering down, holding your mouth right, aligning planets...I realize you might have been being sarcastic but I'm gonna throw this out there for whoever it may help at some point.

You may have been shooting for longer than I have, but I'm offering a tidbit of advice:

Don't contemplate the shot too long, the longer you're there trying to get that bead to be "EXACTLY" in the center of that peep....the more it moves, the more it goes out of focus, and the more you flinch.

If you've been shooting peeps for any length of time (enough to get used to them)...just trust your eye, it really will center it all by itself...don't overthink it, just trust your eye and squeeze.

It works for me anyway...my best 5 round groups are always the ones that only take me about 10 seconds to shoot all 5 rounds. You just gotta trust in your ability (no matter how much ability you have...until you trust it, you're stuck where you're at). What I mean by that is, you know how to align sights....do it and squeeze. (quit thinking about it so hard)

Again...those are some darn fine groups up there, and I'm NOT implying that you can't hit a bull in the *** with a 2x4 ;)...I just read what you posted about concentrating so hard on the shot, and offered up some advice that may or may not help you (or somebody else) get those groups to "one ragged hole". :)

#3 ·
Nice shooting!
I Like the H322 (AR2219) myself and use it in most loads. I do not use it in the light projectile loads (250-350grs) as I use H4198 (AR2207), but from what you have shown me I might just give it a whirl.

#4 ·
Nice shooting! :D Ridgerunner is right though, don't overthink it. Get on target, let the air out and squueeezzzze...and there you go - Sheboygin!

#6 ·
Gee you Americans have some funny expressions. What is a sheboygin? I hope its not some guy dressed up drinkin' gin. ::) ::) ;D ;D

#7 ·
Hey just curious, im not trying to hijack the thread, but ive read a lot about how great H322 is for the 45-70. I picked some up today, and have 350 gr hornady RN, and remington cases. I was wondering where a good starting point would be and a max. Since my hornady manual doesnt list this powder. thanks

#9 ·
Hi SR 80,
According to the ADI Reloaders Manual (the actual manufacturers of Hogdon H322, in Oz it is AR 2219). The starting load is 49grs and up to the MAXIMUM load of 54grs.
As usual work from 10% below max and work up safely watching for presure and the usual other signs.
Hope this helps.

EDIT by Ridgerunner665: I edited this...to compensate for the Remington brass SR80 is using...the manufacturer used Winchester brass for the pressure testing. I was tempted to say 55 grains MAX, but the thing about extrapolating data...its not an exact science...a member here, jaycocreek, is full of good info on the Hornady 350 grain bullets...I suggest that SR80 read through his posts because I bet if he does...the info he is looking for can be found there.

And also...on Hodgdens online data, that max that you had listed is over 41,000 CUP even in Winchester brass...its listed under the Ruger loads.

#10 ·
I say "Sheboygin" ( pronounced "Shi-BOY-gen) as a euphimism, an expression of delight in this case or, if I hit my thumb, an expression that keeps me from losing my "witness", should I be overheard, ha. It is a town, and I have no idea how they spell it either. I'm sure, somewhere there really is a shemale drinking gin, I try not to think about it! (shudder) ha

I wasn't concentrating on the sight picture so much as I was "trying get my mind off" the recoil,ha! It comes straight back, and there is nothing "pushy" about it..it's all "Wham"! :-* I was looking for planets as there had to be some in amongst all the "stars" I was seeing after each shot! (get it? Stars..) You know how bench shooting is, you have to soak it all up.

63 is Max, supposedly, but won't shoot them until I can clock them. I have already tried all the gentle loads I had in this little booger, it won't shoot them well; it likes them fast and furious! Once I get it set where I want, I will shoot 99% of the time in field positions so I can move with it. It isn't really "bru-tell", but close,ha.

#11 ·
Preacher, I found that if I set a short bi-pod type shooting stick on the bench and I sit up straight in the chair, it really tames the felt recoil. My groups actually improved because I seemed to relax better knowing there was no pain coming after trigger pull. Another option if you have a strap on tree stand with a rifle rest would be to strap it on a tree at ground level and presto, a field expedient bench rest.

#12 ·
Yes sir, I have shot some crazy kicking rifles in my youth, but this one isn't as bad. It is a short, handy little compadre and offhand, it is just fine, especially with the new Limbsaver pad and the 1/2 pound of weight in the butt ( the Mercury Recoil Reducer) You are right of course, if the upper body can move with it, not too shabby. I just can't see anything heavier than the Hornady 350RN in this rifles ( or mine) future,ha. I am pretty sure that Speer 300 UC at these speeds are gonna be wicked, even on cow moose ( which I hope I draw for one this year!!)

#13 ·
Great shootin Preacher, hope she doesn't beat you up too bad! Have you considered shooting heavier bullets? I can definately feel a difference in the sharpness of recoil depending on bullet weight. Personally, I have more fun shooting 405gr than 350 or 325.

#14 ·
I shot some Remington 405's over AA2400, my usual recipe, but they weren't accurate. I also tried some Beartooth 350 PileDriver Lights (.460) over the AA2400 and even some hot R7 loads and it didn't care for them either. I have some 425gr PDJ Beartooths I may try later. No more than I will shoot this rifle, I am pretty set. I really have my 444P set up now as my big bore shooter, so I'm not fretting. My 308MXLR is scary accurate, alot of fun too, so it will be shot alot too. This 45-70 is the first short MG barrel I have ever played with. I always had good results from the 22" standard, but then I was shooting full house 350RN and 405 HC. I later had a Ballard rifled 22" 1895 that would shoot anything, but traded it off for Hawkeye .257 Roberts ( dumb move, this particualr Roberts was "average" and too heavy for what I wanted, oh well,ha)

#16 ·
Sheboygin, thanks for the info guys. I may be mistaken but we on Oz just might, maybe have some expressions that you guys don't understand also.

#18 ·
Preacher, those are some awesome groups buddy! Seems like H322 has struck again. So far all I have tried is H4198 and IMR4198 and they have worked pretty dang good for speed and accuracy. I do have some 425 PDJ's loaded up over H322, just haven't gotten around to testing them yet.

From all the reports on here and other places, that 300gr Speer is the bullet to use in the Marlin in the 300gr weight class, outside of a PT. I have been looking for them locally, but they aren't a commonly stocked item. Thanks for the load work. Now I do wanna try them. Scotty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.