Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other than Bianchi strips holding 5 rounds of .357 for my SP101 I have had no other means of dropping cartridges Into the cylinder. I am wanting to try speed loaders and just placed an order for my .22 GP100 with the SpeedBeez reloader. Loading 10 rounds of .22 as small as they are drives me nuts so I got 1 speed loader with 2 blocks in a case that holds 100 rounds at the ready or 10 refils of fun. $95... Not cheap and hoping for quality. I am looking at HKS and Safariland speed loaders for my other revolvers and I am hoping to try those brands and any others you all might suggest.
Let's hear your experience with the assorted types, the good the bad and the ugly of it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have used HKS for my .44 magnums for years, I acquired a couple Safariland speed loaders a long time ago too but didn't like them as much as HKS so they are never used and here somewhere.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I have used both the Safariland and HKS. Both have strengths and weaknesses. It's kind of Chevy/Ford thing. I carry a snubby .38 so right now there is a loaded Safariland in my cargo shorts along with two six shot speed strips. I keep a loaded HKS in the consoles of both vehicles. I think the HKS may be a bit more durable but the Safariland holds on to it's cartridges better so its in my pocket. As you can probably figure out, I like having lots of ammo on tap.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I don't have experience with SpeedBeez but they look really nice and probably worth every penny. I do have experience with HKS and Safariland speed loaders and I wouldn't waste a penny on those crappers. Moon clips are the way to go for revolvers.

Reactions: .DIRTY-.THIRTY

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have used both the Safariland and HKS. Both have strengths and weaknesses. It's kind of Chevy/Ford thing. I carry a snubby .38 so right now there is a loaded Safariland in my cargo shorts along with two six shot speed strips. I keep a loaded HKS in the consoles of both vehicles. I think the HKS may be a bit more durable but the Safariland holds on to it's cartridges better so its in my pocket. As you can probably figure out, I like having lots of ammo on tap.
There's no such thing as too much ammo.

·
Premium Member
1,519 Posts
I've used both HKS and Safariland speedloaders. They both work well in .38 Special and .45 Colt, I don't have any experience with them in .22LR but I expect they would both work fine. My issue with speedloaders is bulk so when carrying a revolver I usually carry speed strips instead, this is strictly personal preference for the reduced bulk and weight,

Stu

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
I got on well with speed strips for revolvers back in the 80s. No idea if they still make them. Rubber strips that held six .38/ .357s in a straight row. (Must be like the Bianch strips Dirty- Thirty said) You chambered two at a time by sticking the pointy ends into the chambers and peeling the strip back. Best bit was a couple of those on your pocket were less noticable than speedloaders and quicker than loose rounds. Like I say, no idea if they still make them.

A quick google search and yes, they still make them.

Reactions: Padraig

·
Super Moderator
4,923 Posts
I haven't found a good speed loader that really fits with the rubber boot grip, or the almost "frame flush" cylinder of my SP-101. I'm o.k. with carrying flat fitting speed strips anyway, since it's my (almost) every day carry it's more convenient.

jd

·
Registered
743 Posts
I picked up two pair of HKS, for GP100 and SP101, 357 mag.
They fit nicely in a cheap-o Kosibate 2x cordura case from Amazon for $10.

·
Premium Member
5,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update: the Speed Beez are great! I can pick up 10 rounds into the empty charger and into the cylinder and ready to shoot in like 5 or 6 seconds. For a .22 10 shot revolver they are awesome!

·
Super Moderator
4,923 Posts
Thank y'all for the tip on the "Speed Beez" speed loaders. I went to their web site and the loaders actually look like they'll fit my needs for the SP-101. The "HKS 36" loaders I've had around for the last 10 years have just never fit well as the body of the cartridge holder itself is just too thick to adequately fit into the limited space between the cylinder itself and the rubber boot grip.

Dangit, now something else to buy....

jd

Reactions: JACKTW

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
I have nothing but .44's left. I use the strips to carry an extra load, but I figure if I don't get it done in 5-6, I kinda deserve what's coming ;-) Incentive.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts