Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Instructions

This seems to be a neat little tool. I was just wondering if anyone has tried it, or know of a better alternative.
If you search Youtube for Spee d loader, several videos link.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
This gadget has been around for years. My objection to those and similar gadgets is that you are spending the same(or more) time loading the gadget as you would loading the gun and it's rather large to haul around in the field.

Stan S.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I've got one that I use at the range and it works well enough for what it is. Its a little clumsy to have to remove the inner tube completely and find a safe place to lay it while you reload (where it won't get dirty or damaged), and you have to be sure and cover the loading hole in the tube with your thumb or the rounds will hang up there when dumped in - at least they will on my Henry. It does make reloads somewhat faster so you can spend more range time shooting, if that's a consideration for you. It also helps when the kids are taking turns shooting by giving the non-shooter something to do - you reload while your brother is shooting. Not a bad piece of gear, but not something you can't live without either.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I have one. I use it at the range with my Henry and now my 981T. Great little device. Difference is you don't waste as much range time reloading.

·
Premium Member
2,442 Posts
I was going to try the soda straws, but never found any large enough. I wound up getting 3/8" PEX pipe at the hardware store, plugging one end and whittling down the other to form a cone. cut the PEX into sections long enough to hold 10 rounds (my range has a 10 round limit). load em up and plug the other end with a foam ear plug. they work real well, but they do take a try or two to get use to loading. I did dump one tube on the ground. another time I loaded one round upside down and that mucked up the works a bit. I have enough tubes to hold 140 rounds and plan to make six more so I can load 200 rounds before I go to the range. The tubes do make it simpler to load at the range, time will tell if I keep using the tubes, or just go back to loading one at a time, but for now I'm sticking with the tubes.

I have end elsewhere that folks use aluminum arrow shots for the tube. may try that as well

·
Registered
157 Posts
I've had the old Winchester gallery loaders, and had some Wamco plastic gallery tube loaders, both worked fine. Think the Wamco ones got caught up in the first high-cap magazine ban and are maybe no longer made?

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
I never undstood the absloute rush some ppl have to reload, I always consider it a good break not only for the barrel to cool down and get a rest but for the shooter to also get a break and mentally refocus. If this was something I was REALLY concerned about I would make sure I used guns with a detachable high cap mag.

·
Registered
213 Posts
what someone needs to make is one that functions similar to a box mag so you can load from the loading port as apposed to the end of the tube. this would greatly increase loading speed and keep overall bulk down.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
I was going to try the soda straws, but never found any large enough. I wound up getting 3/8" PEX pipe at the hardware store, plugging one end and whittling down the other to form a cone. cut the PEX into sections long enough to hold 10 rounds (my range has a 10 round limit). load em up and plug the other end with a foam ear plug. they work real well, but they do take a try or two to get use to loading. I did dump one tube on the ground. another time I loaded one round upside down and that mucked up the works a bit. I have enough tubes to hold 140 rounds and plan to make six more so I can load 200 rounds before I go to the range. The tubes do make it simpler to load at the range, time will tell if I keep using the tubes, or just go back to loading one at a time, but for now I'm sticking with the tubes.

I have end elsewhere that folks use aluminum arrow shots for the tube. may try that as well

I read that you need to use straws from Wendy's restaurants as they are wider

·
Registered
625 Posts
I made a bunch from old TV antennas. Cut to length, got some rubber caps from the hard ware store, wrapped some duct tape around it in a couple of places.

Gun Runner

·
Registered
26 Posts
[HR][/HR]I used one at an Appleseed weekend on my tube loader and it was great in that environment where you wern't given much time to load. I'd recommend it for the range.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts