Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My department is about to do a special run Golden Boy gun for Tn State Parks 75th anniversery. They did a S&W .357 686 for the 50th. My question is, they are doing a .357 and a .22. Which would you get? I have .357 1894 and three .357 pistols already. I also have a marlin mod.60 in .22 but its in rough shape. I can't afford both so don't say get them both. The special run will have the Tn. State Parks shield logo engraved on the side with a 75th anniv. banner running around it.

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
The .22, obviously. That wasn't hard, was it? ;D Lemme see, how many .22s can you shoot for each .357? Ten? ;) Good luck on whatever you get.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
On the other hand, all those 357s you have could use a new friend as well. Didn't know Henry made anything in 357.

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
I vote for the .357 mag. It is a fine caliber in what I am sure will be a fine Henry rifle. For maybe a once-in-a-lifetime gun, I'd take the .357 mag for sure.

bjm

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
44-40 Willy said:
On the other hand, all those 357s you have could use a new friend as well. Didn't know Henry made anything in 357.
Yes, they make a 44mag and a 45 Colt as well..

bigjeepman said:
I vote for the .357 mag. It is a fine caliber in what I am sure will be a fine Henry rifle. For maybe a once-in-a-lifetime gun, I'd take the .357 mag for sure.

bjm
I second that! While I think the Golden Boy is okay I like the pistol caliber Henry's more. The action on the 357 is solid brass whereas the Henry has a brasslite plated alloy receiver cover. I am not 100% certain, but believe the drop angle on the pistol caliber guns is somewhat less than the Golden Boy which I think is preferable. But on the other hand, if you need a 22 (and who doesn't?) it should be a great one!

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
I would go with the 22LR firearm especially if the one 22LR gun that you have now is in bad shape. I am biased towards 22LR firearms anyway! :)

If you decide on the .357Magnum rifle NOW... later on you can get a sweet Henry, Browning, Marlin or ? in 22LR.

I happen to think that the 2 finest firearm calibers 'combos' are in 22LR and 357Magnum and/or 22LR and 30-30!

Best wishes to you!

Catherine

1 - 7 of 7 Posts