Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
One of my all-time favorite movies is playing as I type this - from Herman Melville's American literary classic - "Moby Dick Or The Whale"; starring the equally great (late) American actor, Gregory Peck and also the equally famous director, the late John Huston.

I was fortunate, as a kid from New Bedford, to actually glimpse the movie star Gregory Peck (from about a quarter-mile away, sitting atop my dad's shoulders) as Peck was plying his acting trade. Many thousands of town folk showed up to witness the event.

Scenes from the movie that were filmed in New Bedford in 1955-56, were filmed in the famous meeting house on Johnny Cake Hill, next door to the New Bedford Whaling Museum - the Seamen's Bethel.

The pulpit that looks like a ship's prow, was used (modified by the movie prop people) in the movie, and is still in use there, to this day. The Seamen's Bethel is presently undergoing an extensive restoration, and will once again be open to the public sometime in the future.

I am still trying to finish reading the book "Moby Dick Or The Whale" and have been trying to finish it for years. No one I knew really ever read it - Cliff Notes, maybe.

Yessir, Captain Ahab sure could have used a bigger boat!

Now that's fishing!

(The real story of the White Whale can be read in "In The Heart Of The Sea" - the true story of the sinking of the U.S. Whale ship, the Essex, by repeated ramming of the ship by a rogue whale in the Pacific Ocean in the the late 1800s).

Gr8rtst.

Attachments

Reactions: Golphin

·
Registered
25,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
have seen the movie and read the book - twice - you need to read it - both are timeless classics
I am reading it. Have been for years now.

I can only absorb about one chapter at a time. Melville's writing style was excruciatingly obtuse.

Of course, I'm no literary critic or academic - just an average reader.

Gr8rtst.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.