Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question (line of inquiry?) is what is the minimum list of spare parts to have in my field bag for a model 60 (or other rim fire model of your choice). In other words, what is most likely to ... um ... er ... fail ... regardless of reason?

For the model 60 (& 795):
(1) Recoil Spring
(1) Guide Rod
(1) Buffer
(1) Buffer pin
E-CLIPS small & large, at least couple of each.

Comments, Additions, Substitutions, ... Criticisms

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting suggestion. The 10/22 takedown model has its own backpack, probably room enough for my parts.

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Depending on the age of the 60 you might want to get a Feed Throat. If your feed throat is of the 2 part design in my experience it will fail. All but one of the 60's I have dealt with in the last 10 months (12 - all 1981 and before) have had the 2 part feed throat and have needed to be replaced. It is not a rocket science change out as long as you have the Throat purchased and the necessary "hand machining" modifications.

The need for the change is manifested in failures to feed and failures to eject.

·
Banned
549 Posts
Yeah when he wants to shoot an accurate factory rifle he can pull out the Marlin 60 ! As for the parts list for FIELD use also take along a nickel to do some adjustments. For at home repairs than add a feed throat .

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
odd, I have never had a part fail in any of my mod 60's. I did change to the newer buffer a while back, but not because the old one broke.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
odd, I have never had a part fail in any of my mod 60's. I did change to the newer buffer a while back, but not because the old one broke.
Parts I have found failed.

1) Broken Buffer
2) Cracked Buffer
3) Worn Sear
4) Lifter Spring
5) Worn Lifter
6) E Clips worn and loose or missing
7) Broken Hammer
8 ) Bent Recoil Spring ( I have extras on hand because I have bent one putting it back in )
9) Broken Sear Spring
10) Broken Hammer Pin
11) A Sear with the catch groove edge worn and would not catch every time.

Of course this is spread over 12 60's and 2 49's.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts