Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What spare parts do you keep or would you recommend for someone who uses an 1895 as their primary hunting/plinking/Chipmunk Apocalypse rifle?

I've got a standard Marlin ejector, lever screw and stock screw in case any of them become air soluble. Thinking of getting a extractor and possibly a firing pin set.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
568 Posts
An extra firing pin and extractor would be nice to have, plus maybe the little screw that holds the mag cap on(if you take your gun apart often). There really isn't a whole lot of parts to go bad on Marlins so I really don't think you'll need to keep many on hand.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Rick, although not strictly ''parts'' I would have a set of Marlin screwdrivers, blue loctite and maybe a brass and steel punch with a small hammer. These could be stashed with ammo and other hunting/shooting goodies. Take care, John.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I don't think any part in a Marlin is likely to wear out before thousands of rounds have been fired. Probably the most likely parts to get lost are the ejector and the lever screw.

Neglect and improper cleaning put a lot more firearms out of commission than mechanical failures do.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I think that Marlins are pretty durable but I also know my ability to lose small parts.
I believe I'll get an order together for the extractor and firing pin next payday.
And maybe an extra set of hollow ground screw drivers too.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
If you order a firing pin, I would advise taking the rifle and the replacement pin to a gunsmith for fitting. Even though firing pins are made to standard length, they often require final fitting to the bolt for the correct amount of protrusion. A firing pin that protrudes too far can/will pierce a primer upon firing and gas will blow back.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
The spare parts list seems to be appropriately short. Ejector, lever screw, loading gate screw, and firing pin. If it was me I'd probably get replacement screws for the entire receiver, ejector and a firing pin. I'd also create a cavity in the butt stock under the cap or recoil pad and keep all those parts inside the gun. Then you always have your parts.

I may actually do this with my 1895GS which resides in Alaska and accompanies me on all of my forays into the bush. Some spare key parts might just save your life.

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
11,361 Posts
The spare parts list seems to be appropriately short. Ejector, lever screw, loading gate screw, and firing pin. If it was me I'd probably get replacement screws for the entire receiver, ejector and a firing pin. I'd also create a cavity in the butt stock under the cap or recoil pad and keep all those parts inside the gun. Then you always have your parts.

I may actually do this with my 1895GS which resides in Alaska and accompanies me on all of my forays into the bush. Some spare key parts might just save your life.
My 'Gun Daddy' mentor taught me the same thing 40 years ago. AC

1 - 8 of 8 Posts