Marlin Firearms Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
13,176 Posts
I'm surprised that anyone that had to eat a lot of C-rats likes Spam. I'm not sure what critter Spam is made from but I know it must be from the finer cuts from the nose holes and arse holes. It's on my list right under the mystery sausage the Turnpike resturaunts have in their breakfast buffets. Grey and chewy, with that faint flavor of sun dried possum.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Looks pretty good.
The primary ingredient in Spam is chopped pork shoulder meat mixed with ham. About 90% of Spam is pork from a pig's shoulders. The remaining 10% (or so) comes from the pig's buttock and thigh, better known as ham. This ratio varies according to ham and pork prices. The U.S. Department of Agriculture does not permit any nonmeat fillers in lunchmeat, nor does it allow pig snouts, lips, or ears. The second ingredient is salt, added for flavor and for use as a preservative. Also, a small amount of water is used to bind all ingredients together. Sugar is also included for flavor. Finally, sodium nitrate is added to prevent botulism and acts as a preservative as well. It is the sodium nitrite that gives Spam its bright pink color—without it, Spam would discolor and become brown.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
I have enough Spam stored away to last till judgement day, it never expires. I prob only eat it about 4 or 5 times a year. A little goes a long way.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I ate a lot of it in the months following hurricane Maria. Mostly sliced and fried in a skillet. There is a recipe for making sandwich spread, with pimento american cheese being mixed together with Spam. Spread on white bread with the edges cut off and the slice cut into four mini sandwiches. Yum! Very popular.

Luisyamaha

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Slice, fry until browned and make a sandwich. Three major food groups in each bite; salt, fat and Siracha!!!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
We had spam as a treat last Sunday, more as a remembrance of the past. It is funny that spam comes in tins like c rations which are round and pre-sliced.
If you put it on the pantry shelf now it will be good for several years and taste the same once fried. Sushi is a waste of bait.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That about sums it up. BTW three cans in the pantry. Love the stuff. My bride of 30 yrs, on the other hand, does not. Which means I don't have to share. 👍

·
Registered
116 Posts
I love the stuff.

I've even tried Spam-like sold by chain stores (Aldi, Walmart, Save-a-Lot, Dollar General, etc).

My Dad learned to like it when he was in the Korean War, and always had some on hand.

Had a Spam & cheese omelet while in Hawaii -- almost as good as the ones I make, though I don't have rice as a side dish for breakfast.

·
Registered
24 Posts
There is a thread here about Sushi that I've already let my opinion be known.(in other words YUCK)
What about Spam, the canned meat type. I know a lot of people that recoil at the thought of eating it, but my hunting partner and I always have a couple cans with us in moose camp. We like it, fried or just out of the can. My cousin in Hawaii loves it, but of course Hawaii is the largest consumer of Spam and has hundreds of recopies using it.
Who else here likes Spam?
I eat Spamwiches a lot. Slice and fry and put it on rye with a lot of yellow mustard, or chop it up in cubes to make an omelet with some green peppers. You can't really screw it up.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts