Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Came across a used Cimarron Firearms "Man with No Name" Uberti reproduction movie revolver at the LGS this week. They only wanted 220 bucks for it--so I jumped on it as the pistol was in pretty good shape (had a couple buggered screws for which I have already ordered replacements). The revolver is a recreation of the Colt that Eli Wallach used as the bandit Tuco in "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly". This is NOT a reproduction of any Colt revolver from the Pre-Civil War or Civil War era---its a fully functional repro of a movie prop. The "Man with No Name" 38 SPL/38 Colt revolver is a grafting of a Colt Navy 1851 octagon barrel to a 1871/1872 Open Top Colt frame w/o a mounted spring loaded cartridge ejector rod. The pistol loved my 38 SPL quasi-cowboy loads of 125 gr hardcast and 5 grs of Trail Boss at the range yesterday. I had a hoot shooting this movie revolver and the sale price only made it better.
Fashion accessory Circle Jewellery Plant Metal
Firearm Gun Trigger Revolver Gun accessory
Revolver

·
Super Moderator
26,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yeah--its definitely a fun gun that I have seen on GB but wasn't ready to pay the $400-$500 asking price. The Clint Eastwood version of this revolver has a snake inset on the wood grip and goes for even more moola.

Reactions: JACKTW

·
Super Moderator
26,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
good job Jay,looks like fun
Cowboy-level 38 SPL load recoil can barely be felt due to the long barrel and weight of the revolver. I am going to try some stouter regular pressure 38 SPL loads next. Now--if only I had a sombrero, beat up cowboy boots, and a price on my head---LOL!

·
Super Moderator
26,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am sure for a "fistfull of dollars" you could get a sombrero and boots.........................:elefant:
Good one! :biggrin: "For a Few Dollars More", I could get that cowboy outfit!

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
I've got that revolver, target wad cutters are really fun to shoot, MAGTECH 38 Special is pretty stout, some of the chambers are a little sticky with that stuff!, I actually have to use the ejector rod to get them out.

·
Super Moderator
26,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I've got that revolver, target wad cutters are really fun to shoot, MAGTECH 38 Special is pretty stout, some of the chambers are a little sticky with that stuff!, I actually have to use the ejector rod to get them out.
According to Hodgdon's reloading site, my Trail Boss loads were probably coming out at ~900 FPS due to the Uberti 7.5 inch barrel. I had to use the "pop out" small ejector rod to get the cases out. I have some 38 SPL hardcast loads which are a bit hotter but not quite into the +P territory. I will try them out next to see how they do......

Reactions: JACKTW and Owen49

·
Administrator
30,808 Posts
Cowboy-level 38 SPL load recoil can barely be felt due to the long barrel and weight of the revolver. I am going to try some stouter regular pressure 38 SPL loads next. Now--if only I had a sombrero, beat up cowboy boots, and a price on my head---LOL!
After stealing that super cool pistol for $200... I think you qualify for a price on your head. :bandit:

I just added that one to my WTB list! While I'll probably not match what you stole that pistol for, I can let you do all the load work and steal your pet load. :flute:

After all, I need to get something out of your good fortune. :laugh:

Jack

Reactions: Ret_Eng

·
Super Moderator
26,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After stealing that super cool pistol for $200... I think you qualify for a price on your head. :bandit:

I just added that one to my WTB list! While I'll probably not match what you stole that pistol for, I can let you do all the load work and steal your pet load. :flute:

After all, I need to get something out of your good fortune. :laugh:

Jack
Ya gotta hope that the pistol is legal in CA, Jack. One of my Uberti SAA clones had a "Not legal in MA" sticker on the bottom of the box! True story!

·
Administrator
30,808 Posts
Ya gotta hope that the pistol is legal in CA, Jack. One of my Uberti SAA clones had a "Not legal in MA" sticker on the bottom of the box! True story!

You're right about that, Jay. There are a lot of firearms I want that aren't on the CA compliant list. They make it to my WTB list for when we move to ID.

Most revolvers make it on the list as long as they're in demand enough that the MFG'ers are willing to bend over and pay CA to sell them here. One of the many reasons we're planning to exit CA. Meanwhile, I get envy attacks seeing all the cool guns you're picking up.

Jack

·
Super Moderator
26,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You're right about that, Jay. There are a lot of firearms I want that aren't on the CA compliant list. They make it to my WTB list for when we move to ID.

Most revolvers make it on the list as long as they're in demand enough that the MFG'ers are willing to bend over and pay CA to sell them here. One of the many reasons we're planning to exit CA. Meanwhile, I get envy attacks seeing all the cool guns you're picking up.

Jack
You will be able to pick these firearms up, Jack. Your CA exitus will come sooner than you realize. These Uberti are really fine revolvers. I would definitely pick up a Colt Open Top reproduction when you get to ID. BTW--can you order from an online retailer? Taylor's and Co. has some Colt Open Tops on clearance listed on their website--True Story!

·
Administrator
30,808 Posts
You will be able to pick these firearms up, Jack. Your CA exitus will come sooner than you realize. These Uberti are really fine revolvers. I would definitely pick up a Colt Open Top reproduction when you get to ID. BTW--can you order from an online retailer? Taylor's and Co. has some Colt Open Tops on clearance listed on their website--True Story!

I sure can, as long as it goes through my FFL. Thanks for the heads up on the clearance. I'll definitely check them out what they have tonight. The Open Top revolvers are my fav's.

Jack

·
Super Moderator
19,139 Posts
Came across a used Cimarron Firearms "Man with No Name" Uberti reproduction movie revolver at the LGS this week. They only wanted 220 bucks for it--so I jumped on it as the pistol was in pretty good shape (had a couple buggered screws for which I have already ordered replacements). The revolver is a recreation of the Colt that Eli Wallach used as the bandit Tuco in "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly". This is NOT a reproduction of any Colt revolver from the Pre-Civil War or Civil War era---its a fully functional repro of a movie prop. The "Man with No Name" 38 SPL/38 Colt revolver is a grafting of a Colt Navy 1851 octagon barrel to a 1871/1872 Open Top Colt frame w/o a mounted spring loaded cartridge ejector rod. The pistol loved my 38 SPL quasi-cowboy loads of 125 gr hardcast and 5 grs of Trail Boss at the range yesterday. I had a hoot shooting this movie revolver and the sale price only made it better.
View attachment 720720 View attachment 720722 View attachment 720726
I don't think Cimarron can make a ugly gun. I AM JEALOUS :embarassed:

·
Super Moderator
26,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I sure can, as long as it goes through my FFL. Thanks for the heads up on the clearance. I'll definitely check them out what they have tonight. The Open Top revolvers are my fav's.

Jack
Look in the "Ding and Dent" part of the clearance handgun category on their website. They had two 1871-1872 Colt Open Tops in 45 Colt with dings in the grip handle--the rest of the pistol looked pristine. I think they are priced about 130 bucks less than the normal asking price.

·
Super Moderator
26,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't think Cimarron can make a ugly gun. I AM JEALOUS :embarassed:
Thank you! The Ubertis really are very fine revolvers--I don't have any complaints!

Reactions: me
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.