Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This Northwest fellow loaded up and headed out a week ago for the great Southwest! Am about 1/3 through my planned trip and it's been INCREDIBLE! A few setbacks, but still having fun.

Here's some photos that will tell much of the story:

This is on the White Rim Road, Canyonlands National Park. Quite a drive. I suppose a fellow could do all 100+ miles in a day. But why? So much to see. So much to explore. I like this photo, it sorta shows how huge these land features are.

Ran across a herd of desert bighorn sheep! Special treat, seeing them.

Jeep did real well, until the front driveshaft decided it was time to start falling apart. A new driveshaft is being built by a fellow who specializes in that. Should be better than the original. Known weakness on this model Jeep, I should have replaced it before the trip. Other than that, the Jeep has done superbly, and the little trailer has tracked right along behind, on and off pavement.

I've got all sorts of camping gear and supplies in the trailer. Cooking on the fender works out real well. Have a fridge in the Jeep to keep meat, veggies and stuff fresh. :)

Also spent a day exploring Nine Mile Canyon - where there are many ancient rock-art sites. I didn't expect to spend a whole day there, but was fascinated. This one is called "The Great Hunt" and it's pretty impressive:

I've been doing a lot of hiking. Feels good getting the legs & lungs going after all the sitting and driving to get down here to the Southwest. One week down, two to go!

Regards, Guy

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow that's pretty impressive Guy! Curious what your load out is with weapons etc.
Not much. No plans to hunt or do any target shooting on this trip.

Thought about adding a trip to the NRA Whittington Center to the trip, but it just didn't fit in the schedule.

So ya, I've got a little something, just in case, but no big weapons load-out... :) I'm doing a lot of hiking, camping, sight-seeing. Getting to places I've never been... Loving it. Aside from the southern-California desert & mountains, I haven't seen much of the southwest. Truly enjoy what I'm experiencing. Fascinating geography, culture, history, wildlife...

Guy

·
Administrator
30,727 Posts
Great trip, Guy. While living in Henderson, NV., we did a trek to Red Rock to view rock-art that proved very interesting. The desert is equally beautiful as the PNW, just different.

Keep the pictures coming of your adventure.

Jack

·
Registered
21,202 Posts
Looks like a great time! Continue to enjoy!

Reactions: farmboy and M700

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Well, if your trip hits my neck of the desert, give me a shout and I'll put the coffee pot on.
Paul B.

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, if your trip hits my neck of the desert, give me a shout and I'll put the coffee pot on.
Paul B.
Thanks Paul! I think I'm not going much farther south. Going to hang around the tourist trap of Sedona for a bit with my wife. Enjoy that. Go see some big hole in the ground you guys have got up here in northern Arizona... I think it's got a river at the bottom or something. I'll take a look!

Can you believe that? I'm 61 years old, have traveled the west for a few decades, and have NEVER seen the Grand Canyon! Going to fix that within the week. Could have driven out there today I guess. Got lazy. :)

Guy

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Any barrier Guy, or can you walk right up to the edges?

John
No barrier. I think the park service has really dealt well with the whole "White Rim Road." They struck a great balance between letting people access the area and enjoy, and also protecting it.

Aside from the 19 campsites scattered along the 100 mile route, there are very few signs that the Park Service has done anything to change the place. Campers must use those campsites, and there are pit toilets at each site. This keeps the area from turning ugly with every camper making his own little latrine, or not. Ugh.

No campfires allowed. No dogs/pets allowed. I think this is part of why the area is such a haven for our native wildlife, the mule deer, desert bighorn sheep, etc... It's a special place.

I had a propane "campfire" with me that I could have used, but it was better just hanging out, watching the sunlight fade and the stars come out.

Did a lot of hiking. Enjoyed.

Ya, there's a lot of ways a guy could fall to his death out there. Into a canyon or off a mesa... Some places it might be quite a while before anyone found the body or wreckage.

Regards, Guy

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Welcome to Utah. Just remember that you are in a real wilderness area so take proper precautions. Folks tend to get in trouble with hydration in our parts. Also, heads up cell phones don't work well in our rock canyons if at all. I have a satellite tracker on my Jeep just for that reason.

Here is my Jeep:

Nice Jeep.

Enjoy!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.