Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am truly ambidextrous but due to visual issues with my right eye shoot long guns lefty and after practicing can reload my H&R handi as fast as a bolt and almost as my lever and pump guns

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm a lefty too, but I'm also right eye dominant. Cant wait to get my first lever gun and see what happens.
In my (left?) minds eye it all seems natural to shoot a lever action rifle.
I'm looking forward to not having to do the old reach around to cycle the action on the bolt action rifle I've been using. I dont know what I'd do if it had a scope.

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
I'm just wondering why you would do a tactical reload? If the zombies come, I will use something that I can reload faster and with a lot more shells.

·
Registered
166 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Looks like the one made by Minuteman Gear:

Their website appears to be down at the moment.

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
10,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Just to resurrect an old thread to further discuss.

·
Registered
609 Posts
god bless the horsemen who held the reins with their right hand, paving the way for the concept of left handed guns, made for the southpaws to knock down faster the first from their horses tumblr_531dad282763bebd48634aed49bcf35e_0e671350_640.jpg

·
Registered
47 Posts
My take on this comes with one assumption: "tactical" situations don't involve rests or bipods, and any support of the front end is temporary/improvised and usually requires the weak hand as part of it (e.g., holding it against a tree or a corner.) A lot of it will be done "off hand" (standing, unsupported.) With that assumption:

When the magazine is (nearly) empty, I can see an advantage. Without any added weight of rounds at the front of the mag tube, you could hold the rifle relatively on target with with the rear two points of contact (shoulder and strong hand) and load directly into the gate with your weak hand.

However, when topping off, meaning that there is a nearly-full mag tube, controlling the rifle without the front-most point of contact is very difficult. My 16" 1894's hold 8+1 (9+1 with some rounds) and are damn front-heavy when loaded. That's one of the two biggest disadvantages of a tubular magazine (the other being, you can't easily swap in a full mag.) As one person mentioned up-thread, they put the butt under their armpit, which negates the benefit of holding it with your hand on the trigger.

I'd rather have the two points be the more stable shoulder and weak hand (on the forearm), so that it stays on target. I can roll the rifle slightly to bring the loading gate and extra rounds into view, while still sighting down the barrel (good enough for close range work), and as long as there's one in the chamber, get my strong hand back on trigger very quickly if needed.

Since there isn't actually a left-side loading gate, that's something that I've never actually tried and, thus, is purely conjecture on my part. If I have a chance, I'll pretend to load with left hand into the hypothetical loading gate to see. Maybe my mind isn't thinking about it correctly.

·
Registered
670 Posts
When it comes to tactical, I'll take the M14 and M16 anyday over ALL the others

·
Registered
47 Posts
When it comes to tactical, I'll take the M14 and M16 anyday over ALL the others
Well, yeah ... "no duh" (as we used to say as kids) ... but this forum isn't "Tactical Rifles"; it's "Tactical Leverguns". For whatever reason (laws, etc), people in this section want "to make and use tactical leverguns for home defense and other than the normal realm of applications" (from the "Read before you post" section sticky.) Saying that you prefer two select-fire military rifles (or even their semi-auto civilian counterparts, M1A and AR-15) doesn't really add to that discussion.

·
Registered
609 Posts
...done : Now I have reversed it, and you can better judge,
I don't know enough about that,
but.I guess that's feasible by looking at the details of the rifle.

tumblr_531dad282763bebd48634aed49bcf35e_0e671350_640 photsh..jpg

·
Registered
37 Posts
...done : Now I have reversed it, and you can better judge,
I don't know enough about that,
but.I guess that's feasible by looking at the details of the rifle.

View attachment 820890
That looks better. Look at the details like the way the shirt opens and such and see if you agree. Many old cameras and some modern ones reverse images. I am no photographer or historian. Just a guy that has watched the history channel too much. I believe there was talk about Jessie James being left handed based on a similar photo at one time. Sorry to disappoint anyone hoping to find an old lefty lever gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
84 Posts
I love Marlin lever guns , always shot then and hunt with them. They carry so nicely.
I am right handed, but have 2 nefews that are lefties. So for their graduation presents , i gave them each a 336 in 30-30 win. Anr they are super happy.

·
Registered
609 Posts
That looks better. Look at the details like the way the shirt opens and such and see if you agree. Many old cameras and some modern ones reverse images. I am no photographer or historian. Just a guy that has watched the history channel too much. I believe there was talk about Jessie James being left handed based on a similar photo at one time. Sorry to disappoint anyone hoping to find an old lefty lever gun.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
_

...you're right. this probably also applies to the orientation of the saddle ring_
I would still be interested in opinions on the matter

·
Registered
670 Posts
Carpny,

Well, yeah ... "no duh" (as we used to say as kids) ... but this forum isn't "Tactical Rifles"; it's "Tactical Leverguns". For whatever reason (laws, etc), people in this section want "to make and use tactical leverguns for home defense and other than the normal realm of applications" (from the "Read before you post" section sticky.) Saying that you prefer two select-fire military rifles (or even their semi-auto civilian counterparts, M1A and AR-15) doesn't really add to that discussion.
CARPNY,
You feel better now?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Not so much from a tactical perspective but have had numerous opportunities hunting big mobs of hogs to run levers empty or close to it and need to top up on the run. Quite often literally on the run, being a righty I have never found the loading gate a issue as in these situations the rifle isnt on my shoulder but being held in my left hand by the fore end. At or close to the rifles balance point, being far more dexterous with my right hand it just happens, ammo finds its way in the loading gate without me even looking for it.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts