Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
10,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Typically a right hander takes his hand off the trigger to add rounds into the loading gate. A lefty can keep his strong hand on trigger and load. Just casually looking at my Marlins it appears that there is no reason that a second, ambidextrous loading gate can be added to the left side of the receiver. Just a thought people, in the march toward an effective tactical lever......AC

·
Banned
162 Posts
im a lefty with enough practice i propably could do it. your right about a leftys strong hand still bieng on the gun and trigger but so is the hand with the coordination too i load bullets with my right hand for practice but its not easy to get them pushed all the way in no doubt practice and a lighter loadin gate tension would help i can hold and shoot my 1894 357 mag with my left but is not all that easy to load with my right but all and all leftys probably do have a advantage but thats cause were the only ones who think in their right mind:hmmmm:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am lefty and I have perform this process many times in the filed hunting hogs with my 35 Rem... You can reload very quickly. My brother has the same the rifle and I can load twice as fast!! :)

·
Premium Member
13,380 Posts
I hadn't thought about this, but it is right. I shoot lefty but it is natural to me to reload with my right hand.
Thanks! one more reason to love my lever action Marlins. :marchmellow::congrats:

Cheers

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
My wife is a lefty that shoots right, bats right and many other things right. But, she says that only left handed people are in their right mind.........

·
Registered
540 Posts
Believe it or not, us southpaws have a big advantage with right handed bolt guns too when using a bipod or rest and for the same reason. The right hand is doing one thing only - cycling the action while the strong hand stays on the trigger. Ok maybe being a chin rest too but you get the picture...:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Typically a right hander takes his hand off the trigger to add rounds into the loading gate. A lefty can keep his strong hand on trigger and load. Just casually looking at my Marlins it appears that there is no reason that a second, ambidextrous loading gate can be added to the left side of the receiver. Just a thought people, in the march toward an effective tactical lever......AC
As a firearms trainer on the LE side your on to it but let me add. This is no different than a shotgun but just like handguns there are 2 main types of reloads for long guns as well. A tactical (what my dept calls it) is sort of what you mentioned is good for "topping" off the magazine which as your doing it you could "engage" with the round in the chamber if the need comes up. Then there is the combat reload (gun completely empty/out of ammo) action open throw 1 round in action close to get the gun back up.Then engage if fast breaking situation or then revert to tactical and "top off magazine while covering the threat/area. Works well with pump shotguns however that 2nd type of reload with a lever would be a little more difficult to master right or left handed'

·
Premium Member
13,380 Posts
Lefties are the top 10%. What I have always done is tuck the butt under my armpit and reload with my right hand.
ME TOO!, GO LEFTIES! .... OOPS, I MEAN LEFT HAND USERS :biggrin:

·
Registered
99 Posts
The same goes for single action revolvers with the loading gate on the right side. That's why I have both a 1985 Marlin and a Ruger Blackhawk. Along with an Ithica Mddel 37 12 ga. which I consider to be ambidexterious.
As long as we southpaws are talking, I wonder if any others have the same problem I do. When working on cars etc. as long as I'm not looking at my right hand it does OK but if im looking at it it gets much harder to for me to use.

·
Premium Member
13,380 Posts
I'm kind of a weird bird on this matter. I write and eat left handed. I shoot rifle left handed but revolvers right handed. When fly fishing, I cast right handed but retrieve left handed. I can play ping-pong equally good with either hand. But what's really odd is I play tennis right handed ... but serve with my left hand.

·
Premium Member
10,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I read that Samuel Colt was a lefty - And that's why they are still building them this way? I think it was Skeeter Skelton, maybe Elmer Kieth, pointed out Colt's strong hand, and had built a custom left gated SA. AC

The same goes for single action revolvers with the loading gate on the right side. That's why I have both a 1985 Marlin and a Ruger Blackhawk. Along with an Ithica Mddel 37 12 ga. which I consider to be ambidexterious.
As long as we southpaws are talking, I wonder if any others have the same problem I do. When working on cars etc. as long as I'm not looking at my right hand it does OK but if im looking at it it gets much harder to for me to use.

·
Premium Member
10,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lew Bonitz says a left side gate is not practical. Us right handed guys will just have to make do with what we've got. Ac

·
Registered
646 Posts
That's all great about lefties getting loaded, but can a lefty shoot? ;-)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts