Marlin Firearms Forum banner

South Georgia hogs

4K views 42 replies 20 participants last post by  navajo 
#1 ·
This is my brother the ninja master 🥷 ! Both of these were shot about 75 yards from his back door in fact you can see his house in one of the pictures.
Cargo pants Camouflage Military camouflage Gesture Marines
Dog breed Carnivore Plant Grass Terrestrial animal

See less See more
#12 ·
Years ago I had trouble with them rooting in my yard at night. So we started sleeping with the window open. My wife would wake me when she heard them. I would ease outside and kill one with my .280. That didn't stop them even after I had killed a few. I put the magazine extension on my 12 ga Browning A5 and filled it with buckshot.. Next time they came in at night I eased out and hosed them down with buckshot. They stampeded squeeling and hollering, Still didn't stop 'em'. I finally put up a 2 strand electric fence and after tangling in it twice they left my yard alone. I built a trap and caught 27. I killed them all. I hate "em". They destroy so much. Thankfully they have been gone for along time.

#17 ·
I'm thankful these creatures aren't this far north!
I would like to hunt them at some time.
I've read about the amount of damage they do to crops and other wildlife.
It appears they can not be eradicated!

you just got to learn to live with em. people think they can erradicate hogs but i dont believe in that notion. Definately not with dogs and guns. Theres just too many and theyre too prolific.
Hunting them is no big deal. put out a corn feeder and they come. usually the first night. some of the smarter groups only move at night. it depends on how much hunting pressure there is. only bad thing is unless youre quick you only get one.

#21 ·
I love killing hogs. I help with hog eradication on a few ranches. They cannot be eliminated but their numbers can be reduced in a given area. For at least a certain time, anyway. Hog are smart, once they learn death is in an area, they will not go there. No matter how tempting the food crop.

Some people go about eradication in the wrong order. Most hunt them first then trap. That method can be effective however, it is best to trap until they learn not to go in the trap. Then hunt them. The best time to hunt them is at night with some form of night vision or thermal. After that you must use dogs. Dogs are the only way to get the truly difficult, smart and stubborn hogs. Also, they help keep them run off the property. Most people don't realize, to keep hogs off a property, it takes a lot of hard work.

#27 ·
Like pork.😎

Smaller hogs are incredibly good eating. The first time you try it you will wonder why everyone isn't hunting them. The bigger hogs can be a little tough. If they don't die quick very tough. The biggest boars can be tough and gamy. They urinate all over themselves and it's easy to transfer that to the meet. Some people prefer the bigger boars, rhey make great sausage.

#32 ·
View attachment 859132
View attachment 859133
View attachment 859134
View attachment 859135 View attachment 859136

this is that red one and the black one i was talking about earlier. the last three pics is why they need to be gone.
Dang, are all three of them big hogs boars? With them running of game, it's time to make sausages. I know I wouldn't be able to help myself, I like killing them to much. How do you hunt them, with dogs or from a stand?

excellent post and ill add when cleaning them, especially a boar, you need to be extra careful on a big one the bladder is huge and will burst easy. i like a boar for my homemade german sausage. I reccomend zip tying it until you get it removed.
That is very true about pig bladders. I had the hardest time with them rupturing when I first started gutting them. Thier bladders seem more fragile than other game animals.

Reactions: northmn
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.