Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or, cell-phone antelope!

Craig, a good friend of mine who has been a part time chef for 20+ years, noted my enthusiasm for cooking and also noted my seriously under-educated skill level... :grin:
He also knew that I was a hunter, and that meat from game is often nowhere near as fatty as beef.

He recommended over a year ago that I try a "Sous Vide" for cooking. A what? "Soo-Vee" is how it's pronounced.

In the simplest terms possible, ya put a chunk of meat into a plastic bag, set it in a pot, and cook it for an hour or so. Then sear the outside in a hot pan for mere moments. The meat is never over-done, and is always juicy I was told.

Today I got a Very Early Christmas Present, a Joule Sous Vide device!

I decided to put it to work on an antelope steak from last fall. Put the steak into a zip lock bag with olive oil, rosemary, salt, pepper, and garlic. Pushed most of the air out and sealed it up. Then via an app on my cell phone, I set the Joule to "medium rare" for a steak. It heated up the pot of water, I put the baggie with the steak into it, and waited while some potatoes cooked. While I was waiting I also cooked up some onion, red bell pepper, and mushrooms.

Less than an hour later, I seared the antelope steak on each side, in my cast iron skillet.

Put it all on the plate, and oh my goodness! I like antelope. This was the BEST I've ever had! Moist, perfectly done, nicely seasoned... Awesome. Here's some photos:

Prepping the antelope. I'd had it marinating:

The Joule sous vide heating up to 133 degrees:

Onion & pepper in the cast iron skillet:

The finished meal. The best antelope steak I've ever enjoyed!

The Joule is almost $200, from Amazon. An alternative, half the price, is the Anova. On Craig's recommendation I went with the Joule and it worked perfectly. Oh my goodness, that was a good steak!

Regards, Guy

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
That looks really good. Interesting way to cook, I’ve never heard of that before.

Reactions: Judson and M700

·
Registered
740 Posts
Hey Guy.... I've never heard of it either. Where'd you find it at? Like you, I can be a little challenged also so this might be something to sharpen my skills.

·
Premium Member
11,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Guy.... I've never heard of it either. Where'd you find it at? Like you, I can be a little challenged also so this might be something to sharpen my skills.
Got it from Amazon. There are two primary choices:

The Anova, at a bit under $100

And the Joule at a bit under $200

My buddy highly recommended the Joule, because it makes more power & cooks faster. He did say that either would work just fine.

Guy

·
Registered
942 Posts
My sons showed us how. I really like it because the meat isn't overcooked.

LOML doesn't like it because the meat looks raw. :(

But son and I will cook what we want the way we want and make some gravy to cover hers!

Reactions: jgriffin1988

·
Registered
15,771 Posts
Very nice, Guy!
Sous vide method slowly brings the temperature up to exactly where you want it without overcooking, because the water never exceeds the target temp.
It’s similar to crock pot cooking except all the flavors remain in the meat instead of being distributed throughout the cook-pot.
R/Griff

·
Premium Member
11,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My sons showed us how. I really like it because the meat isn't overcooked.

LOML doesn't like it because the meat looks raw. :(

But son and I will cook what we want the way we want and make some gravy to cover hers!
That's why my buddy recommended that I sear the meat briefly in the skillet before serving. Adds a little "char" flavor, and makes it look like it's been cooked. I went about 30 seconds on each side, in my cast iron skillet, heated really hot, with a bit of butter in the skillet. Finished things off nicely.

So much learning ahead of me with this new toy! I'm really looking forward to trying some roasts...

Guy

·
Registered
793 Posts
Interesting, I've used the plastic bag method to reheat left over veggies and mac & cheese in moose and elk camp, but never for a piece of raw meat. I'll have to play around with that and see what I can do. I'm not about to spend $$ on a pot until I've exhausted ideas with the baggie thing.

·
Registered
19,549 Posts
Have a buddy that cooked some 3/4" thick bone in pork chops the same way but vacuum sealed the seasoned chops in bags prior to cooking! Took a couple hours if I remember correctly and then placed them on the grill to sear and make them look more appetizing! Turned out great...and not dried out!

Reactions: pacificpt and M700

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have heard of Sous Vide and from what I understand it has been around for 100 plus years and makes almost anything wonderful, it's even possible to do perfect eggs, veggies and much more as he flavor is completely infused into what ever is done that way.

·
Premium Member
7,766 Posts
I have a buddy from Alaska that this is the only way he cooks his meat and fish. Been looking at it just never knew which device to buy

Reactions: M700

·
Registered
301 Posts
I have 2 of the anova’ s, I like my steaks rare, and the wife likes her’s medium. It is the most fool proof way of cooking. When we buy meat from the store, we season it and vacuum seal it in dinner sized portions. In the morning, I put the meat in ice water in the sous vide. Around 2:00 I fire up the cooker from work via the WiFi connection. When I get home, cook some veggies and sear the steaks. Easy and yummy.

for all those on the fence, get a sous vide cooker you won’t regret it. Look up sous vide everything on YouTube, and this site has some good recipies - https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/topics/method/sous-vide

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
I'm glad you explained that it is a technique for cooking otherwise I would have thought that was the name of some place in Idaho where you hunted!

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I wonder if you can use an Instant Pot instead of a sous vide cooker?

Reactions: jgriffin1988

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
My Momma taught me don't put things that are plugged into the wall into the water. I listened. O0

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Yes, but you won’t be able to control the perfect doneness you’re after if you are pressurizing the pot. It will be tender, though.
I was thinking, running the pot unpressurized. You have temp and time control, just no H2O circulation (?).

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
"Forced" into the sous vide game....

After reading this thread, I asked the wife if she ever heard of this style of cooking, she had but wasn't familiar with the in's and out's.

A few days later, she happened to ask her friend that called from San Antonio who prepared our wedding reception dinner if she had ever heard of it.

"Yes, it's fabulous!"

Next day, a box from Amazon shows up. Inside was a sous vide recipe book, plastic container and lid, vacuum bags with a large vacuum syringe and an Anova Nano unit that I can control with Bluetooth. :bird:

You can even make ice cream this way? :eating:

·
Premium Member
11,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think you two will be pleased.

I've cooked antelope steak, antelope roast, pork chops and pheasant breasts with mine so far. All were excellent.

Guy

1 - 19 of 19 Posts