Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
9,259 Posts
Parallel that is a great job you are doing on a great old Yammie XS850. They were a tough bike,I know because my neighbour two doors up from me had one for 20 years and it was treated with nothing but neglect and he road it every day. A great old Packhorse, there is nothing like a TRIPLE with a SHAFT.

Enjoy your Dads old bike.

GUS

· Registered
9,259 Posts
A lot of sore fingers and elbow grease coming your way by the look of things, :biggrin:. I had reasonable results with Autosol Metal Polish and a tooth brush in the hard to get at places, but then ya gotta get the autosol rubbed of which takes a little time.

GUS

· Registered
9,259 Posts
Parallel isn't it just the way, when ya think everything is going good ya cop a curve ball and the wheels fall of ya life. hope your cousin gets over her injuries soon. those tonadoes must be frightening, they showed Nt. Carolina over here on the TV tonight, it looked like an atomic bomb went off.

GUS

· Registered
9,259 Posts
It's FINALLY time to reassemble these Mikuni MK2 Carbs and get them ganged together and installed so I can see if this bike is even going to run. With luck I'll be posting a video of the first start up tomorrow night.

Parellel,sure you dont have a mild dose of OCD :biggrin:. Sorry mate, that pic just reminded me of the old Pink Floyd vid. "The Wall" when he was tripping out in the motel room and lined everything up all over the floor. Good to see you taking care, because carbs can be fiddley. The old XS will look great when you get it all back together, cant wait to hear it going, your dad would be proud. I bet he is sitting back with a big grin on his face right now. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Stick to the standard pipes if ya can, my mates never run right once he put 3 into 1s on his, but over here there was no other option, they are impossible to find and carby kits where just as hard, but that old XS went forever, even with the flat spot.

GUS

· Registered
9,259 Posts
I called SPEC II today and discussed the short throttle cable issue. The reason it's short is that this model is the "Special" which has higher handle bars that are also swept back. They are going to make me a custom cable as soon as I can mock up the original beside the one that's too short and give them a measurement.

I figure by the end of October I should be riding... down here in the Big Easy that's prime riding weather.
Wow that sure sounds good, cant wait to hear it out on the open road.
As I said before, "nuthin like a tripple".

GUS

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.