Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today's MSR is typically an AR or variant. I picked up a Kel Tec Sport Utility (SU) 16 about a year ago because...A. I've always been curious/interested in them and B. I found an unfired used one for sale at a great price and C. While I have a bunch of ARs (and AKs for that matter) I like conventionally styled rifles. The bonus is that this one takes AR mags.

It is also very light @ 4.5lbs. That's considered an ultralight AR

Did I mention that it folds in half. Just punch out the take down pin and it folds up...

And it comes with 2 10 round mags that fit in the stock. A 30 rounder will also fit

Another cool feature is that the forearm folds out into a bippod

Unlike an the direct impingement of the AR the SU16 is piston driven (like an AK) It also has a 1:7 twist 16" bbl. Mine happens to be the "B" version, there are actually 5 variations with different stocks, barrels (16 or 18.5") and sights.

One of the first things you do is replace the take down pin with a hitch or clovis pin.

The hitch pin has a key ring at one end and spring loaded ball retainer at the other. The Clovis pin has a flare or lip at one end and key ring hole at the other. The hitch pin is easier to remove and less likely to get lost than the factory take down pin.

The clovis pin when inserted and retained with a key ring makes a handy saddle ring/single point sling point.

I recently had mine up at my cabin and was shooting at 50 and 100 yards with a small red dot optic. It is quite accurate but when I went out to 200 yards I had trouble seeing the target. 150 yards was about the limit. I went back to the cabin and dug out an old/cheap 3-9X scope and mounted it. Back out to the food plot/field and once sighted in was banging steel at 200 yards quite easily.

Some advantages...
-light weight
-takes AR mags
-mags fit in stock (comes with 2 10 rounders)
-easy take down, stock folds (I carry it folded in a tennis racket case)
-1:7 twist to stablize heavier bullet.
-piston driven
-has a built (molded) rail on top
-the fore arm folds out into a bipod
-legal in states that ban ARs and being that they are more like a sporting rifle
are less likely to draw unwanted attention

Negatives:
-both the upper and lower receivers are polymer
-no sling mounting points (keltec does sell a sling "kit" for $20)
-they are hard to find for sale usually 'out of stock'

MSRP runs from $698-796 depending on model. Street prices range from $489-629. The B model I have lists for $738 currently retails for around $580

·
Registered
615 Posts
Seems like a well thought out utility gun. Does it come in .762X39?

·
Registered
288 Posts
I picked up the under folder model, that can be shot folded, about 15 years ago.
Basically the same specs as you listed,... I liked their piston system very much.
I think their line of weapons, represent the epitome of minimalist design.
I mostly shot Federal ammo and cheap surplus,...
at 100 yds, on a good day for me, it held MOA easily!
I probably put 8 or 9 thousand rounds through it before
being talked out of it, I wish I still had it.

I have had their 380 pocket piece,... it never disappointed!!!

When the 308win RFB came out, my desert shooting bud got one.
He didn't seem to be head over heels about it soon after, but,
I felt he didn't run the adjustable gas block, to his advantage.
Otherwise, another GREAT KEL TEC INNOVATIVE WEAPON,... imo!!!

When Kel Tec came out with the RDB, in 223Rem/5.56Nato,
I started looking for a like new, used, Hunter model, to no avail.
All the same great specs, as the under folder I had, PLUS a whole lot more!!!

Personally, I can't say enough good things about Kel Tec,... obvious, from this long winded reply!

Nice catch on that Kel Tec, guy, you shouldn't be disappointed,... enjoy!!!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I picked up the under folder model, that can be shot folded, about 15 years ago.
Basically the same specs as you listed,... I liked their piston system very much.
I think their line of weapons, represent the epitome of minimalist design.
I mostly shot Federal ammo and cheap surplus,...
at 100 yds, on a good day for me, it held MOA easily!
I probably put 8 or 9 thousand rounds through it before
being talked out of it, I wish I still had it.

I have had their 380 pocket piece,... it never disappointed!!!

When the 308win RFB came out, my desert shooting bud got one.
He didn't seem to be head over heels about it soon after, but,
I felt he didn't run the adjustable gas block, to his advantage.
Otherwise, another GREAT KEL TEC INNOVATIVE WEAPON,... imo!!!

When Kel Tec came out with the RDB, in 223Rem/5.56Nato,
I started looking for a like new, used, Hunter model, to no avail.
All the same great specs, as the under folder I had, PLUS a whole lot more!!!

Personally, I can't say enough good things about Kel Tec,... obvious, from this long winded reply!

Nice catch on that Kel Tec, guy, you shouldn't be disappointed,... enjoy!!!

I druther have the C model which is the one you had. Considering you can't find any of them anywhere and this one came up for sale at a "steal me" price I'm pretty happy.

Edited to add...Actually I just learned the C model stock is available from Kel Tec so I could convert mine if I wanted to.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I've since added a stock pouch which allows me to carry a 30 round mag in the stock and a 20 round mag in the zippered pocket.

Of course the pocket also holds the original take down pin, bore snake, lens cloth etc, etc. The pouch also gives me a padded cheek weld for using the scope...and it doesn't interfere with folding the stock either.

I've also since replaced the key ring on the hitch pin with para cord which I think looks better.

·
Premium Member
18,004 Posts
Kel-Tec (aka George Kelgren) is one of those guys that has trouble thinking inside the box. Few of his weapons resemble anything in their class, and most of the time his prices are at or below his competition. I'm on my third SUB-2000, the one I call the "Folding Forty", the first one was stolen, the second was gifted to my Lieutenant, and the third one lurks in a closet, ready for duty if needed. When the Ferguson Riots were going on, nearly every officer I worked with had some kind of "extra" weapon stashed in their vehicle, in case things got extra-stupid. Most of my troops resorted to shotguns, but I grabbed this one because it gave me extra range, better sighting options than my duty pistol, and it shot the same ammo, but fed from 23-round Glop magazines. It also hides well in a Laptop bag, something that can't be said of most full-sized 16" carbines. At 100 yards with the scope mounted, groups of 4-5" are the norm. :bandit:

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I have two of those SU-16s just like yours, complete with the hitch pins. They are my car guns as they are easy to conceal & give you a bit of fire power over a pistol if needed!
I got interested in them a few years ago as I watched a video of a guy that dropped one in an ice rimed creek, stomped on it a bit under water, pulled it out & shook the water off a bit and fired off the full magazine without a hiccup! I guarantee you, I would not be able to do that with the M-16 that I had in '65-'66. in RVN.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I figured out a way to carry another 30 rnd mag with my SU. I had an AR molle mag pouch that can be held in place with the straps on the stock pouch. Makes the stock kinda wide with the 20 rounder in the pocket but using either the 20 or 30 makes the stock pocket narrower.

Or I could carry it on the bottom.

Which prevents the stock from locking up when folded but it's still pretty compact and no big deal that way.

·
Premium Member
5,436 Posts
Kel-Tec is a very under-rated brand of firearms. I like their simplistic, utilitarian approach to firearm design. It Just. Plain. Works!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Kel-Tec is a very under-rated brand of firearms. I like their simplistic, utilitarian approach to firearm design. It Just. Plain. Works!

I agree. My first was a P11, the first real pocket 9mm. I carried it for 20 years. Finally sold it recently because I got a striker fired pocket 9 which has a much better trigger. I also have a P32 because...it's just a cool tiny gun. I recently picked up a Kel Tec P17 which is their new 16 shot 22 semi auto pistol. It was under $200 out the door. Fantastic pistol that comes with 3 16 round mags, threaded barrel, fiber optic front sight, muzzle adapter, thread protector and a barrel wrench. It is very reliable and fun to shoot. Great bargain.

The SU16 isn't a "go to war" type gun. It is a sport utility gun that will do in a pinch. The more I play with it the more impressed I am.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts